⚘thirty one⚘

Gentle Reader, it is said that fools rush to judge while the wise watch and wait. Years ago, Miss Henderson, once thought to be on the shelf, triumphed over many a deb to marry Earl Fraser. Miss Dunham had been doomed to spinsterhood until she married Baron Ely. And Miss Kathani Sharma, at the ripe age of six-and-twenty, still managed to capture the heart of none other than the Viscount Bridgerton. A looking glass does not lie. Lady Whistledown: The truth is... that which some dismiss as common rock, time reveals to be precious stone. A fact the new Baron of Kent and his family are learning this very week.

At other times, what appeared to be priceless, under pressure, shatters like glass. What this author knows to be true is that diamonds are not the only gems that sparkle.

Benedict and I are promenading with Colin and Eloise. It is still strange to me that Pen and Eloise are no longer speaking to one another. Neither will confess to me what happened.

"Oh. Would you prefer to be promenading with your fellow debutantes?" Benedict asks Eloise.

"Would you like to watch grass grow?" Eloise remarks. Colin chuckles. "And it is not me they are eyeing."

"I do not understand the limits of your new outlook," Benedict tells her. "You're snug with Cressida but have no interest in other debutantes. You wear a ribbon in your hair, but where is your fan?"

"Why must I be the object of your curiosity?" Eloise questions.

"It is not me whose outlook has most changed," Eloise says as she looks at Colin.

"Did you not promise Anthony you would give society a try?" Colin reminds her. Benedict sighs. "I shall see you later."

"Where ever are you..." I start before seeing Colin walk towards Penelope. "Oh..."

"Perhaps one of those ladies has a fan I might borrow," Eloise says. "Looks like it may become rather warm."

I sit in the Featherington drawing room with my Aunt and cousins.

Prudence yawns rather loudly. "It is fatiguing preparing to be lady of this house."

"Shall I take your fatigue as a good sign?" Aunt Featherington questions. "That you have been engaging in the, uh, necessary activities?"

"Albion and myself have frequented three different places of business this morning," Philippa states.

"Why" I questions

"Places of business?" Aunt Featherington remarks. "What kind of places?"

"Uh, an upholsterer, a silk mercer, and..." Philippa looks around. "Do not let Varley hear, but a meeting with a new housekeeper." Prudence gasps. "I might change some things when I become the new Lady Featherington."

"But I want to keep Varley," Prudence protests.

"Do you not think that you are both putting the, uh, cart somewhat before the horse?" Aunt Featherington offers. "There is, I trust, every reason to hope both of you might, before long, be presenting the family with an heir."

"Mama! How rude," Philippa remarks. "Albion and I are very passionate. Of course."

Aunt Featherington turns to Prudence. "Good. And you?"

Prudence coughs. "Mm. This tea is... it's quite bitter."

"Never mind the tea," Aunt Featherington tells her.

Prudence sighs. "Yes, Mama. We have been familiar with each other."

"Well, I should hope you have," Aunt Featherington remarks. "How often?"