{ 13 } College Dorm

{ Saabira }

"No, you idiot, it's him!" I throw a popcorn at the tv.

Are they that dumb?

I look over at Ayan who's just staring at the tv. But her expression makes her look like she's thinking about something big.

I get up and pause the episode of Criminal Minds.

I walk back to Ayan, who's staring at the TV.

I wave my hands in front of her face to get her attention. She doesn't even blink.

I look at the floor and see a bottle. I make my evil smirk at her, but she doesn't notice. I take the bottle from the floor and walk to the bathroom.

I fill the bottle with really cold water and walk back to the living room. I sneak towards her and spill the cold water on top of her.

She screams my name then jumps off of the couch.

I laugh, holding my stomach.

"What did you do that for?" She gives me the death glare. If looks could kill, I'd be long gone by now.

I smile like an idiot, which earns me another glare.

"What were you thinking about?" I sat down on my bed, being sure to give Ayan a space to sit.

"Nutella. Food! I don't know!" She gives me a convincing smile, but I know this girl too well.

"Really Ayan? If something is bothering you, tell me. After all, I'm your best friend," I say.

She takes a big sigh and opens her mouth. Finally. "My mother wants me to get married," I immediately smile like a dork after she spits those words out.

My best friend is going to get married!

I get up on the bed and start dancing. I stop as soon as I see Ayan frown. I sit back down. with her on the bed.

Why isn't she happy?

"What wrong?"

"Um... I kinda like someone else," she says and plays with her fingers and I see her cheeks turning red.

Ayan is blushing? Over a guy? He must be a good one!

Okay, Saabira. Ten deep breaths in and out. Inhale, exhale. Stay calm!

"Well then, why don't you tell your parents that?" I ask. My tone makes it sound like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Because he's getting married to someone to make his parents proud," she says and I see tears start to form in her eyes.

Poor Ayan.

"Then we need to get rid of that girl," I say with my famous evil smirk but Ayan gives me that look, the "you're freaking crazy and you know it" look.

"Well, who's the guy, and who's the girl?"

"Well... I don't know who the girl is... but the boy's name is Mo-," she says but gets cut off when I hear Yusuf call my name.

I give Ayan a "sorry, gotta go" look and head out of the room, leaving Ayan by herself. Man, I wanted to know that guys name. Darn it.

"Saabira!" Yusuf calls my name again, but this time louder.

I knock on his slightly open door and tiptoe in.

"Yes, uncle?" I say after I get in the room.

"Dear, have you found a job yet?" He asks.

Oh. My. Allah. I forgot.

I give him a guilty smile as he shakes his head.

"Sorry Uncle, I've been busy," I reply sheepishly.

"Why don't you find a job before the month ends. After that, you can live in those college dorms," he suggests.

College dorm.

"I know that was the deal, to stay here for a month. But Uncle, days go by in a blink of an eye. Also, it's hard to find a decent job these days. Why do you even want me to move out that bad? I thought you and my father were best friends?"

It's true. He and my father are very close.

"I have work tomorrow. Saabira please get out," he says in an angry tone.

He so bipolar sometimes. He must be tired.

I turn around and walk out of his room.

Ayan! She must be lonely in my room.

I back in my room, only to find Ifrah instead of Ayan.

I give her a confused look.

"Where's Ayan?" I ask her.

"Oh, she had to go home 'cause her mother called," she tells me, looking down at her phone the whole time.

What's up with these people and their phones?

"Oh... Um, there's pizza downstairs if you want. Before you ask- No. I didn't buy it. Yasin did, now shoo!" She says, putting down her phone and waving me out of the room.

Well, okay then.

I make my way towards the kitchen but stop when I hear two different voices speaking in a low whisper but I can still hear.

"You told her she can't be here, right?" The familiar voice says. Yasin.

Are they talking about me? Why?

"Yes, I told her. Yasin, she can't be here anymore because he knows our house! If he comes here and finds her here, we're doomed," says Yussuf.

Who's he?

What are they hiding?

I breathe a big sigh and enter the kitchen. Their heads snap to me in seconds.