38.

chapter thirty-eight ; the fabrication of fear

_________________

We spend our whole lives living in fear. When we were kids, we were scared of the dark. And as teens, we were scared of failing and rejection. But as we continue to grow older, our fears, though some may stick with us through the years, manifest into deeper and darker terrors. And when we have to face those fears head on, all of the walls we built to keep them out crumble.

Natalie woke with a fright, a small scream escaping her lips as she shot out of bed. Her fear haunting her dreams, seeing the Reverse Flash and her father taking everyone she loved from her. The brunette girl stared at the wall opposite her, regaining her breath, but her heart rate increased again when she saw the empty bed and crumpled sheets next to her, the emptiness causing her to think she was still in a nightmare. Pulling on one of Barry's sweatshirts and a pair of her pajama shorts, Natalie stepped into the hall, looking all around her, screaming yet again when she felt a pair of strong hands on her shoulders.

"Woah, woah, Natalie. It's just me. It's just me." The brunette calmed when she saw Joe, his face expressing concern as he stared at the scared girl. "I heard you scream. What happened?"

"I had a nightmare. And then Barry was gone, which was a part of my nightmare," she explained and Joe nodded in understanding. He squeezed her shoulder and gave her a small hug, his paternal instincts kicking in, "Well, kid, how about we go downstairs, you make some hot cocoa and I'll make some pancakes. Sound good?"

"Barry headed out earlier to search the city some more for Eddie," Jo explained as he started to mix the pancake batter. "Last night, you have no idea how hard it was to try and comfort Iris even though I wasn't supposed to know what happened. She didn't tell me anything, just like The Flash told her to." Natalie nodded her head, "How is she?"

Joe sighed, pouring the batter onto the griddle. "Traumatized, upset, worried, angry, confused.. Everything she's supposed to be feeling. Her boyfriend was taken from her right in front of her eyes."

Silence fell over the two and all the could be heard was the pancakes sizzling and the microwave heating up the milk for the cocoa. "So," Joe started with a clearing of his throat, "Barry tells me that you agreed to move in? I have to say I agree with Captain Singh, it is better for you to stay here for the time being."

"I hope you don't mind, Joe," Natalie said as she started look for the cocoa mix, excited when she saw a can of Cherry Cordial Hot Chocolate Iris had left in the cabinet. Joe chuckled in response, "To be honest, the more in this house the merrier. But that doesn't count little kids so don't you and Barry start getting ideas." Natalie's eyes widened at the subject and she focused on removing the milk from the microwave and said a small 'yes'. She set down the two cups of cocoa as Joe handed her a plate of chocolate chip pancakes, the two attempting some normalcy amidst the nightmare they were living.

About an hour later, Joe and Natalie headed to the station and seeing Barry by Eddie's desk. Before either could speak to the other, Captain Singh walked up the three, "Where is Thawne."

"He took some personal time," Joe explained as he looked up at his boss.

"Yeah..uh, Eddie's been going through some stuff, Captain," Natalie added as her finger ran absentmindedly on the edge of his desk.

The Captain scoffed, "Aren't we all? You got anything on these gold store robberies? Perp's hit up two more in the past week and we still got nothing"

Barry nodded as his hand slid up and down on the folder he was holding, "Yeah, I'm just waiting on the final results from the lab."

"Alright, pick up the pace," Captain Singh ordered, "And see if somebody can contact The Flash. Maybe he can help speed things up."

In A Blink ➳ Barry Allen/The FlashOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara