Chapter Ten

The conversation on marriage between Alice and William went on well after we'd all finished eating and the food had been taken away, as well as dessert.

I was confused. William had not glanced my direction all night long. The only time he'd met my eye was once during the meal, and then he'd just nodded curtly, as though we'd never talked to each other in our lives, and then turned back to my sister.

I'd gone to reading my book under the table, so as not to be noticed. But I could hardly focus on the words.

I can see why my son would be taken by you. Queen Alexia's words replayed in my mind and I glanced at William again, still listening to what Alice had to say with rapt attention, and huffed incredulously.

Why would he ever fancy me, when he could have Alice? I thought bitterly, glancing back down at my book.

"Erika," Mother hissed, and when I looked up at her, her eyes were narrowed on me.

"Yes, Mother?" I said.

"Stop reading at the table. We are in the presence of the king and queen, for God's sake." She snapped.

Frustrated, I slammed my book shut under the table, and conversation ceased as every pair of eyes in the room turned to me. It hadn't been that loud. I flushed in embarrassment as I lowered my head, avoiding Mother's piercing gaze as she glared daggers at me. I would be hearing about this later.

I could feel William's eyes on me as I stared at the table. I let out a long slow breath and looked at everyone at the table, smiling. "I apologize for my impudence." I said, as though I meant it.

King Henry stared at me a moment longer, his dark eyes cold, before resuming the conversation with my father. I turned and my eyes met William's briefly, but I returned his cold disregard, breaking our eye contact to stare at my lap.

As the discussions started up again, I opened my book once more, and attempted to be discreet as I read under the table.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the discussion came to a close. We said our goodbyes to the royal family, bowing respectfully to King Henry before we left. Queen Alexia caught my eye, and offered me a small smile, her sapphire eyes glinting in the lamplight.

I curtsied to her, a smile finding its way across my own lips, before following my family out to the carriage.

Walter stood beside the carriage door, ever the devoted coachman, waiting to offer his assistance. During the ride home, Mother's cold gaze stayed on me, not wavering even as Alice droned on and on about Prince William.

"Is something the matter?" I asked pleasantly, cutting Alice off from her long monologue where she was describing William's eyes in extensive detail.

"I cannot believe I caught you reading in the presence of the royal family, Erika." Mother said sharply.

"You told me that I was not supposed to interact. I was doing what you said," I replied defensively.

"But reading? That was extremely rude and offensive! You should be grateful he is a very tolerant man, or you could have been beheaded!" She exclaimed.

If only.

"What was I supposed to do? I couldn't just sit there and stare at the wall for the entirety of the meal." I said.

"That's exactly what you should have done. You should've just sat there and try to blend in. That's what a good daughter would've done."

"Well, I am sorry." I said icily. "I did not think about that."