Chapter Twenty-One

"It was just nerves." I said for what felt like the hundredth time as physicians fussed around me, checking for injuries, for an explanation to my "episode," as they called it. One of the younger physicians--an apprentice maybe? She seemed too young to be a licensed doctor--put her finger under my chin and tipped my head up, turning it from side to side as she examined my eyes.

I had woken up several minutes ago, lying on a soft, plush bed, with silk sheets. I learned that I had only been out for maybe fifteen minutes. My head had ached a little from hitting the marble floor, but the aching had already vanished. I did not know why I was still in here. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with me, and all these people were starting to get on my nerves.

I heard the door open and then shut again loudly, and I turned to see William striding into the room. His mouth was pressed into a grim line and all the doctors paused to bow, murmuring words of respect before continuing with their jobs.

"Out," he commanded, his voice seeming to ring out in the relatively quiet room.

A pause. The eldest physician spoke up. "But Your Highness . . ."

"She's fine. But I must speak with her." He motioned to the door.

The physician gave him a disapproving look before leading the novices out of the room. And then it was just us.

I sat rigidly on the bed, watching him as he approached.

"Your Highness," I said stiffly.

"Erika," he replied, stopping before the bed and looking down at me. I stood so that he was not quite so tall.

"What do you want?" The words came out harsher than I intended.

"I needed to talk to you. I know . . . Alice and I are going to be married soon . . ."

"Yes, I know that." I said impatiently.

He shook his head and let out a long breath. His eyes met mine and he said, "I don't want to marry her."

I pressed my lips together, shaking my head. "Well, it's kind of too late for that, William."

He laughed softly, but it was not a happy sort of laugh. "I know that. I know it's too late. But I've been thinking a lot about this. I do not want to marry her. Even if my father has given me no alternative."

"You can't back out of it now," I said softly, even though I did not want him to marry Alice either.

"I will. I am not going through with this. It is not my father's decision." He said firmly.

"Your father is the king. It is his decision too, a little bit." I replied.

He sighed and shook his head. And then, so fast that I did not have time to react, his lips were on mine. The kiss was deep and passionate, his lips warm against mine. And it was over too soon.

He strode out of the room, shutting the door behind me, and leaving me alone.

I could hardly comprehend what had just happened. I could still feel the heat of his mouth on mine, my lips tingling with the sensation, as I stared at the door that William had walked through.

I did not quite know what to think. But I knew that I wanted to be with him, and it pained me greatly that I could not be. It took another few minutes to compose myself before I could go back to the ball.

When I walked down into the ballroom, Mother walked toward me, looking none too pleased. I met her at the bottom of the stairs.

"Erika," she said. "Are you feeling better?"