Part 4

Although he didn't know how long it exactly was, it had been a long break from Ritaric tormenting him. Xeredahl had barely seen the dual type demon recently which was saying a lot. Neither had he seen Kad or Nill. But he wasn't one to question.

He would only have one shot. One shot to be able to escape. But it would have to be more planned, less spontaneous than his previous attempts. He had to be sure Ritaric was out of the way. He was always the only one to "visit" Xeredahl unless he had something planned that involved needing one or both of the other two.

It hadn't been easy, but Xeredahl had gone through much worse in his time with Ritaric. Much, much worse.

What with Ritaric gone, the bone spikes on Xeredahl's wings had grown back to nearly their full length. Something that hadn't happened since he had been bought from the hatchery and Ritaric had started breaking them off. Even as Xeredahl ran his finger over the uneven tips of the spikes, he could feel the sensitive surface of the skin tearing.

With quick fingers, Xeredahl snapped off the longest spike on his wing, wincing slightly at the pain. It was curved slightly on the end and the tip was as sharp as all the rest. There was a moment's hesitation before he snapped off the longest on the other wing as well. He probably wouldn't need it, but if all went according to plan then it wouldn't hurt to have somewhat of a weapon to use with his hand.

Xeredahl had to pause for another moment after he set the two spikes on the floor. He hadn't been into his demon form since his "tenth anniversary". But if he was going to escape, then he would need it.

There was no way to make sure Ritaric would not come in and pass by. Likely he wouldn't even bother with the famine demon, like he had been, but if Xeredahl was found in his demon form, it would raise more questions than prevent them. However, he just had to hope no one would come.

It was easier than expected to change into his demon form willingly. He hadn't done it since he was taught how to in the hatchery. After he was taught though, there had never been another time he had done it on his own. His own demon form had been turned against him.

He almost wanted it to be hard. It didn't seem right to be easy.

Once he was in his demon form, Xeredahl pulled the chain of his collar taut and began grinding into it with his teeth. There was too much noise. Someone would hear it and come to see what it was. He would have to move quickly.

His teeth were already sore, aching at the roots. The tough metal scratched against his gums, opening the skin and dripping dark red onto the floor. The blood that ran down the chain made the links slick, the taste of iron filling his mouth more.

After only a few minutes, there was a satisfying snapping sound as one of the chain links broke, sending half the chain spilling to the ground.

He wasn't free yet.

Within a second, Xeredahl had shifted back into his regular form, smearing the blood on his lips in an attempt to wipe it off and scooping the two spikes on the floor into his hands. He tucked one into his clothes. If he was caught, better to have a secret weapon.

This time, Xeredahl wasted no time in trying to be silent as he made his way to the ever close door. It was always so far away, but now it was getting closer, finally.

Almost as soon as he began reaching for the handle, the door opened suddenly with Ritaric blocking the exit. He seemed surprised at first, before his expression twisted into a smile. "Why, hello Dahlly. Aren't you being a bad dog."

Xeredahl didn't hesitate. He flung himself forwards with a snarl, burying the spike of his wing into Ritaric's chest before he could react. The demon dropped like a stone and as soon as he hit the floor, Xeredahl was darting outside. He wouldn't pause at the wonder of being outside like last time. He would move.