Chapter 3: Frye (Part I)

203 A.B.

(6 years before the Runner's Rebellion)

It always starts with a dare.

I chew on my lip, pretending to think it over, but my mind's already made up.

"I'll do it." I say, snatching the coin out of Edmun's hand. He stands back, smirking as he nods towards the wall.

"Don't break your neck." He says, helpfully.

I shoot him a crude gesture, crossing to the opposite side of the narrow alley and climbing up onto the ale barrel. It takes me a minute to find my balance, but eventually, I manage to straighten my knees and consider the lamp protruding from the wall above me.

"You know, it's not too late to back out." Edmun wags his dark eyebrows. "It's an awful long way to fall."

"Said the chickenshit friend to the guy standing on top of the barrel." I rub my hands together, preparing to jump. "So it's just across this alley?"

"No, not this one." Edmun nods towards the main street. "That one."

I follow his gaze. The market has hit its daily peak of traffic, with scores of Fragments and Intacts elbowing their way through the throng in search of the latest wares. Bright colours and boisterous chatter fill the street, wide enough for a vendor on either side and a stream of foot traffic between.

Something must have shown on my face because Edmun laughs. "Who's the chickenshit now?"

"Still not the guy staying on the ground." Before I can give it another thought, I jump, stretching my hands out and grasping the horizontal bar supporting the lamp over my head. I pull myself bodily up, heaving first my chin, and then my torso above the bar, swinging a leg up and gripping the bar with everything I have.

I manage to stand, holding a hand out to the wall for balance. The rest of the climb is comparatively easy, with the window ledges stacked closely together all the way up to the top.

Heaving myself over the ledge of the roof, I finally release the breath I was holding. My arms ache from the exertion and I shake them out as I straighten, frowning at the smear of dirt staining the front of my tunic. Mum isn't going to be pleased about that.

I move to look down at the main street. The building across the way is lower than the one I'm standing on, not that it helps much. This is a wide street. Very wide. The widest I've jumped, yet. The traffic between us hammers on, completely oblivious. The sounds of conversation and bartering echo up at me.

Edmun peers up from the crowd, shielding his eyes against the glare cast by the sun. He looks nervous; he probably didn't think that I would really take him up on his dare. That was his mistake.

I draw a deep breath, taking several steps back and scuffing my booted feet against the loose stone. From somewhere deep inside a little voice cries out, this is a bad idea. I ignore it. That voice never has anything encouraging to say.

My mind clears and I take off at a run, pushing myself harder than I ever have before. I focus on the ledge in front of me, feeling my stride lengthen as I draw closer to my goal.

I push off with all my strength. Jumping straight out, I pinwheel my arms as I fly through the air, falling towards the next roof. The hot desert air stings my face, tugging me back to Earth.

Oh shit.

Oh shit oh shit oh shit.

I'm not going to make it.

The wall I was aiming for passes me by, ascending rapidly in front of my eyes while I hurtle to the ground. There is a flash of colour and my ears ring with the sound of several ear-splitting shrieks. I have just enough clarity to glance below me as I fall, catching a glimpse of brightly-coloured canopy. There is a snap and the sound of splintering wood as I collapse in a heap of fabric and broken barrels.