Chapter 8: Nightmare

The door opened just a crack and Parker saw Kaelyn’s blue eyes staring quizzically at him. Then it flew open and she came tumbling into his arms for a hug. His feet were not securely planted on the icy steps, and they both toppled over into the snow.

“I’m so glad you came over!”

“I can see that,” he said, pushing Kaelyn off.

“I’m sorry. I just got so excited when I saw it was you and not some crazy doctor.”

“Is Gates here?”

“No, he called and said—hey, wait a minute! You know about him knowing?” Kaelyn pushed Parker down and quickly stood up, marching inside. He hurriedly followed.

“I had to tell someone, and he was the only person I thought I could confide in. After all, he’s my shrink. I should be able to tell him anything, and he’s supposed to keep it a secret, something about patient confidentiality or whatever. And you told your aunt, so don’t go sounding all . . .”

Parker just noticed the other girl in the room. She was Native American and very pretty. She had silky black hair and brilliant green eyes. For a moment Parker lost his train of thought while he tried to fix his disheveled appearance. Then he clued in to what he had just said. Dude, you really know how to look like a loser without even trying. You don’t even know her and you fess up to seeing a shrink—puh-leeze!

“Parker, this is Lena,” Kaelyn began, noticing Parker’s sudden interest in Lena. “She’s here with her cousin to meet with Zelda.”

“Hi,” Parker said, feeling his cheeks turn red. He moved in toward Kaelyn and whispered, “Why is your aunt doing a fortune-telling right now? I thought she wanted to help us?”

“She does, but she forgot that they were coming over. And then Doctor-what’s-his-face called and—well, there you have it.”

“I’m sorry, do you two want to be alone?” Lena asked, eyeing Parker suspiciously.

“Ahh no,” Parker said, dramatically. “We were just um. . . a—”

“Rehearsing . . . for the school play,” Kaelyn said, not very convincingly.

“What?” Parker blurted.

“Homework.”

“Oh, yeah,” he laughed. “Homework—we’re supposed to study for this big test tomorrow.”

“You didn’t say you had a test, Kaelyn. What class?”

“Spanish,” Parker coughed, just as Kaelyn said, “History.”

Lena smiled warmly at the two of them and Parker’s cheeks flared with heat. Luckily, just at that moment Kaelyn’s aunt and Lena’s cousin came into the front room. They both looked tired. Lena’s cousin had dark circles under her eyes, but Kaelyn’s aunt looked like she hadn’t slept in weeks. She had a nest of red hair all tied up in a bun that wasn’t really keeping the hair out of her face. She was wearing pajamas and—yes—fuzzy bunny slippers. This is supposed to be our big help? No wonder her aunt believed her. The lady is a complete whack job.

“You must be Parker,” Zelda said, going straight over and giving him a hug. Parker stood awkwardly and lifted his arms but he didn’t know whether he was to hug back or just stand there. He sort of did both. “Kae has told me all about you. Wow, he does have a good aura.”

Parker looked at Kaelyn, who too was turning red. She gave him an apologetic shrug.

“Thank you, Zelda,” Lena’s cousin said. “You know, you should stay awake more often. You’re much more in tune when you’re sleepy.”