Chapter 10: Escape

Chapter 10: Escape

“What the heck is he doing? Just run past them!” Kaelyn shouted into the wind as Cerulean flew down toward Parker and the three and a half zombies surrounding him. She wondered if Dreams was having an effect on Parker’s attention span. First it was the keys and now zombies. Come on, Parker, just— Suddenly, three stone statues shot out from the floor, shattering the glassy surface around them. They were large knights with hefty shields and she couldn’t work out whether they were blocking the zombies from getting at Parker, or trapping him. The statues left just inches between Parker, the zombies, and the wall of keys behind him.

“Kaelyn,” called Cerulean, “close your eyes and don’t look at them.”

“At what? The statues or the zombies?”

“Just close your eyes.”

Kaelyn obediently shut her eyes and tried to tune into the other senses she had available. She felt them swooping down. That was clear with the lurching in her stomach. And the sound—the sound was awful. The zombies moaned like animals. There were other strange sounds too, wet sucking and slapping sounds, and Kaelyn was thankful she didn’t have her eyes open, the sound was enough.

“Parker,” Cerulean shouted, “Parker, it’s Cerulean. Take my hand. Parker!”

“Why isn’t he listening?” Kaelyn shouted. The zombies got more and more excited, their moaning calls almost like a sick chorus of dying carolers.

“It’s the Carrion; they have a paralyzing effect on mortals. We need to get his eyes off them.”

“MAAAHH MAAAHH!” the zombies called.

“We need to hurry! They’re climbing the statues!”

“Parker! Parker!” Kaelyn shouted. “Cerulean, can you land next to him?”

“Not enough room for my wings.”

“Then drop me!”

“I can’t, Kaelyn—the Carrion are almost over—”

“Drop me now!”

“Okay . . . just don’t open your eyes. You’ve only got seconds.”

Kaelyn took Cerulean’s arm and held on tightly to her hand. She was hanging down in the air, trying to feel the ground beneath her feet; nothing there. She was tempted to open her eyes but she knew the threat the zombies posed. She just had to hope she was close enough to the ground not to break her legs. Kaelyn took a deep breath and let go. Thankfully the ground was not too far off.

She squatted with her arms out in front of her, trying to feel for Parker. In a second she found his pant leg and stood, pulling on him while calling out his name. He was like a stone statue too, fixed and unmovable. She grabbed his arm and pulled, but still nothing. His eyes, you idiot, cover his eyes, she shouted to herself.

She moved her hands up his arm to his neck, then over his wet face till she found his eyes. She placed her hand over them and tried again to move him, but nothing happened. His eyes were still open, she could tell because she felt the wet eyeball on her hand. Panic took hold as the zombies groaned louder and louder. The sound of snapping and cracking filled her ears.

“It’s not working!” she called out.

“It’s too late! The Carrion are too close, and he’s over exposed. Give me your hand, I can try to reach his.”

Kaelyn lifted her arm into the air along with Parker’s, but it was no use. She couldn’t get his arm to stretch far enough, and Cerulean wasn’t able to reach. Think of something, quick! Hurry or you’re zombie food . . . Really, would they eat us . . .? Stop thinking about the zombies, think of a way to get out of there! A way to wake up Parker . . . no, that’s a dumb idea . . . or maybe not, at least it’s an idea!