Chapter Fifteen--The Stiria

Chapter Fifteen
_______________

A few days passed among the elves. I learned as much as I could about them. I went to a festival of theirs. They had lively music and dances. Jax taught me how to use a dagger and sling. In return, I provided him with as much food as I could. Jax soon followed me everywhere. I told him everything. I liked to think that if I had a younger brother, he and I would be this close.

"No, Evelin," said Jax on the third day of my lessons. "You can't keep your left side open so much. Your opponent would be able to get you in a heartbeat. You have to keep your left side back, and defend yourself with your right."

I adjusted my position, without question. This kid knew his stuff.

We finished up lessons, and I handed Jax a whole loaf of bread. It was wrapped in a cloth, and still warm.

"Mmm," Jax said, with his mouth full. "Want some?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks," I said. "Already ate." Jax always offered to share. He was such a selfless little elf. I was learning a lot from him.

He always wore a little green cap over his shaggy blond hair. It covered most of his ears, and reminded me too much of Krialle, among all the humans. I knew I was getting homesick.

"Listen, Jax," I said.

He turned my way, with crumbs around his mouth, and his almond-shaped brown eyes wide. "Uh-huh?"

"I need to leave soon," I said. "I have to go to the stiria."

He dropped the loaf. "What? You can't go now. We just became friends. And you are my only friend. I can't be alone again." He sniffed. "I hate that. When I was alone, I could've been killed, and no one would've even noticed!"

My heart ached for him. "I have to," I said. "I can get rid of the Enchantment. Then, I'll be able to see you in Krialle all the time."

He thought for a minute. "I know!" he said. "I'll go with you to Stirian Palace. We can do it together."

"I don't want you to get hurt . . ."

"I was the one who saved you last time," he pointed out. "I won't be the one getting hurt."

"I don't think it's a good idea," I said.

"Please," he begged, looking up at me with those darling brown eyes. "Please, Evelin. We are friends. I don't want you to get hurt."

"No, Jax," I said. "I'll arrange for you to stay with Laurel and Ferrowin. They'll feed you and keep you safe."

He glared at me. "You just want to get rid of me."

"That's not true . . . "

"Yes," he said. "It is. And Laurel won't want me either. I'll have to live alone again. They think I'm a worthless little thief. And so do you. I knew I shouldn't have trusted you. Humans are bad."

"Wait, Jax," I said, tugging on his wrist. He pushed away from me and left.

I sighed. Poor kid. Why wouldn't the other elves help him?

That day, I talked to Ferrowin before leaving.

"I know you are the Enchanter," I said bluntly.

His eyes widened, and his spectacles completely fell off. He picked them off and cleaned them with the edge of his tunic. "N-o . . ." he said. His voice came out as a squeak.

"Oh, cease this nonsense," I said. "I've known for a while. And I'll tell the whole council about my knowing, unless--"

"No, don't do that," he said, frantically running a hand through his messy hair. "The council will be furious with me. They already think I'm not fit to be an Enchanter."