Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One
_________________

Artair was put under house arrest in a cottage to the north. He accepted his fate willingly.

All of the races were given a different area of land. The merrow took control of River Velia and Lakes Velia and Twein. The trolls received three different caves with plenty of space. The faeries received four mountains. The stiria were delivered the cold northern lands that no one wanted. The elves decided to live among the humans in different villages together. Havane became a part of Krialle, but few people wanted to live there.

A council was formed as the connection between the races. One of each race was on the council, with one leader. Nimue became the merrow representative, Alianor for the trolls, an elf and stiria I did not know, and Dianthe for the faeries. The human representative was none other than Liam, a good choice, in my opinion. A peaceful man became head of the council. As for the humans of Krialle, they were headed by three different people that kept each other in check.

Lucia and Girec's funeral was held. Their headstones were placed side-by-side, as they would have wished. I bawled the entire time, and Liam shed a few years himself. My parents and sisters only got to keep their manors because I was a hero. The nobles weren't fans of my task, however. Their titles were revoked.

Tonight was a ball, in my honor. I didn't really wish to attend, but Laurel convinced me.

"I wanted to thank you for everything. My son is now Krialle's historian. His dream has been fulfilled." She smiled widely. "In return for your services, I'm going to help prepare you for the ball tonight."

"I'm not going," I said. "I prefer not to attend . . . social events."

"Liam will be there," Laurel said gently. "You haven't seen him in a while because of the council. Tonight, you'll blow him away with your beauty."

"What beauty?" I snorted.

"You are beautiful," Laurel assured me. "Now, let me help you get ready."

I sighed. "Very well."

Laurel had made me a gorgeous silver dress that shined like starlight. I was reminded that elves were the best seamstresses in all the land. She coiffed my wild, brown hair, which was quite long now.

"Are you going to apply cosmetics?" I asked. There was a few cuts on my forehead, and a small bruise on my cheek.

She shook her head. "I think Liam will appreciate seeing you the way your are." Laurel guided me over to the mirror.

I didn't laugh this time. I smiled. I still was short and scrawny, but now I had a mature look of determination in my eyes. Silver eyes that still seemed foreign to me. My hair was up on my head, and a couple wild curls framed my face. The dress accentuated my illuminated eyes, and flowed off of me in a beautiful way. It wasn't frilly and billowy. It was simple and elegant. A dress fit for none other . . . than me.

I turned around and hugged Laurel. "Thank you," I whispered in her pointed ear.

"You're welcome," she said.

The ball was the grandest social event I'd ever attended. I was nervous as the herald announced me. What if Liam didn't like me? What if he found some other girl? What would I do? I was comforted as I walked down the stairs. All of my friends were smiling up at me. Assana, Jax, Dianthe, Urora, Ferrowin, and Nimue all looked happy.

The Forbidden Lands (Wattys 2015 Winner)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें