Chapter Five

I gulped, but it was hard to swallow even spit when you were staring death right in the eyes. Literally.

Everything around me seemed frozen in time, none of us could move.

It's not like we hadn't gotten into sticky situations before, but this was a bit worse than having to fight four other people for a few cans of food. We won in the end back then by being able to run the fastest, but in this situation, being a fast runner was useless. It didn't matter how fast you could run; these creatures were sure to outrun you. 

Not to mention my own little encounter with the skin skeleton yesterday, though it already felt ages ago. But these ones weren't on the brink of starvation and madness and there were no sunlight to help me now.

One of them moved forward; silent steps on the asphalt road, the crimson eyes the only sign that it was coming closer. My breath got caught in my throat.

How were we going to get out of this one?

A dim light ignited from somewhere behind me, I turned and saw another man come out from the house. So, I had been right. The house hadn't been safe. Good to know.

The light emanated from the cylinder stick that we had been using before, somehow he must have found new batteries. The burst of light hurt my eyes, and I turned away from it, focusing on what was happening in front of me.

I heard Dennis' breath quicken as the creature stepped up to stare at him; his eyes piercing my friend's and I watched in silent horror as Dennis just dropped to his knees, his hands reaching up to grab his own head and pain could be read on every inch of his body.

I took an involuntary step back and felt Johan steady me, his hand soft against my back.

Dennis suddenly let out a painful cry before he collapsed on the ground, lying completely still.

"Dennis!" I cried and went to him, but before I could reach him the vampire grabbed my arm in a tight grip, keeping me away.

It hurt like nothing else, I could feel how my blood struggled to pass down to my arm, his touch cutting off circulation and my lower arm began to tingle. I winched from the painful touch.

His hand was cold and hard.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, there's nothing you can do," the vampire spoke softly, but there were no emotions behind his endearing words. I stared up at him, trembling with rage. 

He pushed me back against Johan who managed to keep us both standing.

He walked closer, too close for comfort, and glared at me.

Illuminated by the small cylinder light he was tall enough that I had to crane my neck to look at him.

His dark brown hair was cut short at the sides and kept a little longer on top.

But it was his eyes that made me tremble most of all.

Those blood red eyes bore into mine and speared me so that I couldn't look away.

I was enraptured in his gaze, a hostage, unable to escape.

Suddenly, I felt a probing inside my head, like a force trying to invade my mind. I frowned.

I knew vampires had powers that humans didn't, but was mind control or mind reading a part of it? Whatever it was, I didn't want him to see my thoughts.

They were mine and mine alone.

I tried imagining a brick wall, unbreakable and unable to be climbed. I put the wall up at the front of my mind and as I stared into the vampires eyes, I saw a flicker of movement in them; it must have been working.