Guess who's coming to dinner

Hiya, everybody!!!!! I love everyone who is supporting me!!! I swear not just saying that. I wanted to dedicate this chapter to merdy13. Yay to her awesomeness!!!

The bold print is Neal and the italicized text is Joey

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I pulled into my driveway with a giddy smile playing on my face. My heart rate was still racing from my meeting with Olivia. I don't know what it is about her that makes me............. just feel. I still feel the heat of her gaze on my skin as she stared at my unusual clothes. It makes me feel like someone pays me some attention, I wasn't completely invisible.

I reached over the console to grab my tote bag when I noticed the bag of candy. My smile grew wider when I see it. As I grab the rest of my belongings I try to wipe the smile off my face before I go in the house, since parked outside were both my mother and fathers cars.

I walk into the house and slip off my shoes immediately, no longer being able to stand wearing sandals. They have no support whatsoever. I mind as well walk around barefoot.

I couldn't wait to eat the candy Olivia gave me. I would try to savor it, but I knew that wouldn't happen. I devour any candy I come in contact with so savoring it was a no go.

"What are you smiling about kangaroo?" a voice spoke. Once again, I got startled by an unexpected person. My grandma was leaning on the doorway leading into the kitchen. A smile was on her wrinkled but smooth face. Her hazel eyes, identical to Gwen's, sparkled with amusement. Her hair had more gray streaks in it than the last time I had seen her, but she still looked pretty young for 61.

"Hi grandma." I said warmly and walked over to hug her. I had actually missed my grandmother. She, unlike my other family members, when she visited, didn't try to change who I was. Oh, and bonus, she didn't ignore me like her daughter did because she thought I was like a "dishonor" to the family.

"Good Lord, what has she done to my little kangaroo this time?" My grandmother said disapprovingly. Grandma had always called me kangaroo as a nickname since neither me nor her like the name Josephine. A baby kangaroo was also a joey so it fit.

I pouted, trying to look innocent. "I'm being tortured grandma."

"Yes, kangaroo, I know. But I can't do anything about that because she is your mother no matter how neglectful she is."

"You're her mother, though. Can't you like, I don't know, put her in a corner or something?" I said throwing my hands in the air playfully.

"I can't put her in a corner, she is way too old." My grandmother said with a hearty chuckle.I lean in close to her and cup my mouth with my hands like I'm telling her a secret."And don't I know it, I'm pretty sure she is like in her 50s, but hides it well under her makeup."Grandma puts her arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a half hug."I sure have missed you."

"Me too, grandma." I could hear my father's laugh coming from the kitchen. I immediately let go of my grandma and jogged into the kitchen right into my father's side. He put a muscular arm around my back. My father, Hal, smelled like clinical supplies, Lysol, and old spice. It was a strange smell, but it was familiar.

"Hey sweetheart, I haven't seen you in what, like a day or two." He said pulling me tighter. Really, it has been at least a week. My father was head surgeon at the Cranbrooke hospital, so he was extremely busy. When he did come home, I didn't see him because I was usually sleeping when he came in and still sleep when he left for work. But what could you do, he was still my father.

My mother leaned leisurely next to my father, with a disapproving look. I don't know whether the look was because I tackled my father in a hug, which was very unladylike or because I didn't give her a hug. Maybe if she didn't act like such a bitch, I would. I released my father shying away, going back to stand next to my grandmother. My mother's eyes followed me." I guess Gwen didn't do such a bad job."

"Yeah, sweetheart, you look lovely." My father commented not even looking at me, but at his iPhone. It was like he was here, but he really wasn't. My grandma scoffed beside me. I smirked; at least I wasn't the only one who thought my parents were incompetent.

My mother suddenly squealed waving her hands. "I forgot to tell you." She started really directing her statement toward my father and grandma. "The mixer the month is too held by, wait for it.......... ME!"

The mixer was a party that was held by one of the members the country club. It was a big deal I guess, within the country club. The host would plan a big soiree with little finger sandwiches and fruity drinks, the whole nine yards. And this year it would be held in my backyard.

I tried not to groan out loud. "Fran said she wanted to help out some, so I invited her to dinner today." Oh, this is too good, now I have to put on a show for some unknown people. I'll do what always seems to work for me. Stay invisible.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mother liked my outfit so much she made me change, which made no sense what so ever. If she thought I looked so "darling" why couldn't I just wear what I had on? But now she wanted to show off for grandma and whoever that Fran lady was.

Gwen arrived home from school and soon came to dress me instructed by my mother. She was more than happy to play dress up. She came in my room with a simple black peplum dress laid over her arm, a pair of black suede pumps hanging from her fingers, and her pink curling iron.

I put on the dress without any refusal, knowing it would be completely useless. Then I sat in a chair for at least an hour as Gwen curled my hair. When she finished, she pinned the right side of my hair back. I slipped on the heels, and walked over to my full length mirror. When I saw myself, I grimaced.

"You don't look bad; actually you look better than I do." She said with a hint of jealousy. "You're not even trying and you look gorgeous." Gwen came and stood behind me. She was usually taller than me, but the heels made us the same height

"What could make this better?" She said with sympathy. A new family, maybe. But I wouldn't say that out loud because I knew it might hurt Gwen's feelings. They have no support whatsoever. Gwen sighed, pushing her hair behind her ear. "Well, how about your glasses back? I found where mom was hiding them. Her purse wasn't such a smart place."

I smile at my sister widely in the mirror. "Thank you."

"No problem. I know how much you hate dressing like this. I just thought your glasses would make you feel a bit normal." She takes my glasses out her purse and hands them to me. I quickly take the contacts out my eyes and slip on my glasses. I sigh out loud glad to be with them again.

"Now I must change. I'm going to try to look sexier than you do. Let's hope I can pull it off. "I still stood in the mirror when Gwen left the room. I guess she was right, though. I did look nice, in a way.

I went and picked up my phone and snapped a picture of myself. As I sent it to Neal I could hear the front door slam and mumbles of chatter coming from the foyer. The guests are here.

I had no interest in going to meet the guest so I camped out on the edge of my bed. A few minutes later Neal texted back: Whoa sexy mama! ;)

I wanted to show you want my mother did this time.

What's the special occasion?

Country club people are coming over. Some lady named Fran, and most likely her husband. You know how they come in pairs.

"Josephine! The guests are here." I heard my mother shout with a sweet voice. But I could tell she was agitated. With a huff, I slipped my phone in a pocket on the dress before going into the hall.

I could feel my phone vibrate. My heels clicked on the wood floors as I walked announcing my entrance. I decide that I would be rude and answer my phone while at the top of the stairs.

You mean Francine Winchester ????

My eyes widen. Holy fuck, excuse my language.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I don't know what to say sooo bye!

~~Athena