Chapter Two: The Encounter

*Edited*

Amara

I had woken up that morning, opened the door for the delivery and instructed the men on where to put every single piece of my furniture. After all that had taken place I had thanked them and shown them the door. It had taken five minutes of heavy breathing and mental self-rehabilitation for me to realise it was my first day of work. How I could've forgotten I don't know but I was so glad I'd realised before eight, because work started at nine and I didn't want to be late.

I had been so grateful when the people had given me the job without even a single interview, I mean I knew my resume was good but certainly it took a little more than that for them to just employ someone. After all it was Evenstone Inc that I was working for and they were the biggest interior/exterior design company this side of the equator and I'd gotten a job as a solo interior designer with only a resume, CV and a clean Facebook page.

Maybe its because I'd been one of the best back in Canada, designing from penthouses to mansions by famous movie stars and directors to artists and performers, travelling anywhere I needed to for every project. They all had different visions and difficult standards but I had realised their visions and reached their standards landing my name on their social media pages and being mentioned each time their designer homes were mentioned. I'd travelled for my job to all kinds of different places like Venezuela, Japan and Australia but I had left that and I was here now, Evenstone Inc where I could only travel as far as LA, Vegas or Miami for any of my clients.

Change was good, change was great.

As I entered the tall skyscraper glass building relief washed over me, it was just as I thought it would be, cold, hard and unforgiving. A great working environment. It was guaranteed everyone here looked out for themselves and would dig claw deep into any of their friends just to get to the top, no one would try to be my friend here and thats just how I liked it.

"Hello, I'm here for work. This is my first day, I'm Amara Ackerman." I smiled down at the young but stressed looking lady sitting quietly behind the reception desk. I stood confused as I watched the girls mouth drop open and her eyes widen. It hadn't occurred to me that she may have been staring at something far more interesting behind me.

I turned to inspect what could be so shocking it deserved a stare like that and I found every woman in the room had stopped what they were doing. A drop dead gorgeous male had just entered the premises and I was pretty sure the building would crumble to the ground from the dominant waves radiating from him. I had seen a handful of beautiful men in my life, heck I'd even been hit on by most of them but this man was quite simply the most stunning person I had ever laid eyes on in my years since puberty and probably in my entire 24 years since being born.

It wasn't just one feature that made him so gorgeous but all of him seemed flawless. Perhaps it was his clear, olive complexion, combined with his natural raven black hair which brushed his collar but combed over on the top, leaving a good view of his striking eyes. His eyes, oh it's his eyes that got me. They were a dark coffee that stood out starkly with his dark hair and skin. And they were so damn piercing... I felt as though he knew everything about me with just one look. And the fear of him knowing anything about me brought me back to reality.

"That's Dominic, Dominic Vitiello." the girl behind me sighed whilst staring after him as he stepped into the empty elevator which — of course — didn't stay empty for long as pretty much all the women in the room piled in after him. I cringed at how uncomfortable that must be for him and turned back to the receptionist.

"Good to know. Can you tell me where I should go now, please?" I tried hard not to look annoyed but for some reason all those women being near him bothered me and I didn't know why, I had nothing to do with him. This was none of my business.