Chapter 1

A/N: Please don't plagarize my story. This is a completely true story about MY LIFE. Don't be rude and steal my story please. It takes a lot to write about something this personal so be respectful. Please and thank you.

I hope you like it :)

_____________________________________________________________

          In my mind, I stand out in my family; I look out of place. Maybe it’s just insecurities, but I do look different from my family. My parents have naturally dark hair, my mom has green eyes, my dad has brown eyes, and, unlike me, they can tan. I was pale, blue eyed, and have blonde hair; the opposite. My brother was also different from the family in appearance. He was dark skinned, black hair, and brown eyes. We weren’t the average family, and people noticed that my brother and I didn’t look like siblings. When I was a baby, a woman at a grocery store walked past my mom commenting “One child is dark skinned and the other is so pale” for her to hear. I think you can guess what she was implying.

            My mom never cheated nor was my brother from a previous marriage. We do have different fathers, but we also have different mothers. My brother and I were adopted from different families, but no one seems to believe that. Thanks to Disney and other movie industries, adoption is seen as the result of being orphaned, abandoned on a random doorstep, or living in some abusive life waiting to be resued by rich people. It's outlandish that someone would plan an adoption, and even more ridiculous that they would choose open adoption!

        I was born Devon Marie, but was raised as Emily Nicole. My biological parents are Lora and Evan who were teenagers in love, but it didn’t last long after my creation. A baby too soon could ruin any relationship. Now, Lora is married to a man named Adam and they have a son named Alex. Evan has had girlfriends but nothing serious that I know; we would actually have to talk for me to know anything. I was Devon for only two hours before my life began as Emily. In those two hours, I could have been someone else, I could have had a different life. Devon never had a chance to leave that delivery room though, she's gone forever. Soon after Thanksgiving in 1995, Emily was brought home to New Jersey with her parents and brother, and greeted by the dog, Chester. Sometimes I wonder if people who learn they ate their twin in the womb feel the same way I do.

“Rosebud, did you get any emails from Lora?”

It was nearly seven in the morning on the way to my bus stop and mom should know by now I'm not a morning person. Eighteen years of raising and living with me and yet she continues to ask questions. I didn’t know anything about our plans this July.  Lora emailed my mom to make the plans and just had simple conversations with me. I wished she would talk to me about it at least a little bit. This July was going to be the first time I ever saw my birth mother in my entire life. I had never heard her voice before, felt her hugs or touch, seen her face in person, or even spent a day with her. The day I was born I was with her, but to me it doesn’t count. I was going to remember everything this time. This was my mother, and I’ve spent my life only knowing her through letters and pictures.

I shouldn’t complain though. Most people I know who are also adopted don’t know anything about their parents. I’m lucky. My parents worked out an open adoption with my birth mother and her family. I get letters from her, her parents, and even her brother and sister. They were even going to be there when I went to North Carolina to meet Lora! Many other adopted kids, including my Andrew, had closed adoptions which meant they had no relationship with their biological families. Still, knowing everything isn’t all so great. Sometimes I wish I didn’t know I was adopted so I could feel part of my family. Everyone who is adopted thinks I am lucky, that I have a blessing knowing my biological family and seeing their smiling faces in pictures mocking me. "Look at us," they seem to say, "We're so happy and you're not with us".

“Hello? Rosebud?”

“What?”

“Have you gotten any emails from Lora?” mom asked again.

“She doesn’t talk to me about meeting her. We have small chats like about the Super Bowl or how the weather’s been. I thought you two were gonna make the plans since you’re the moms,” I answered.

“I guess I’ll send her another email. I’m going to book us an early flight on the Thursday we leave and a late flight back home the Sunday we leave.”

“I know, mom. That’s what we talked and planned about. Is the bus coming?”

“Yeah it’s coming up the street now. Good luck on your final.”

I closed the passenger door and walked down the sidewalk to the bus stop. It was finally my last day of junior year, but it was going to spent taking my History final. That wasn’t so horrible though, at least no one would talk to me and it was something to distract me from my nerves. I had one month until I was on a plane to North Carolina and every possible outcome was playing through my head. The only good news was that at the beginning of July I would be safe from my worries at my camp home for three weeks. Three glorious weeks of writing stories, being surrounded by weirdos like me, all the food I want, and everyone is like a second family would be there with me. Well, technically they are my third family if you think about it.

June 13, 2013

Emily: What about taxidermy? I can dissect animals, make them into stuffed animals, and creep people out with them

Alex: >_<

Emily: It could be my new hobby! I can make you a combination of a pig with a panda head

Alex: You cray cray

Emily: Panda pigs look cute as toys. I want one. I might go to build a bear with Lora’s son, little Alex. Maybe they’ll have a panda pig.

Alex: Dawh :P

Emily: I still don’t know what to do when I meet him. When I was three I understood the adoption, but idk if he does :/ I think giving him a bear will keep him happy and not asking questions. Maybe make up for the voodoo doll we sent him

Alex: Aw he will be fine. Don’t worry

Emily: What if he asks if I’m his sister or something? Or what if he doesn’t know anything about me at all?

Alex: She will fill you in about it all

Emily: Everything is so complicated But I wanna go to build a bear or a panda pig

Alex: Good enjoy the build a bear

Emily: If I go. I think I’ll male Alex want to go so he’ll get all annoying

Alex:  It's whatever you want

Emily: I just have to wait till August now. The visit dates were changed so Lora’s family can come down too. It seems everyone is coming.

Alex: They all want to meet you. Think about it, it’s been 17 years since they last saw you.