Chapter 12

When we exit the dining hall Eric quickly grabs my wrist tightly, and drags me through the compound with out a word. I have no idea where I am going, but I know to stay silent. I lose track of how many turns we make. I guess I never realized how large this place really is and how much of it I have yet to explore, I wonder if I will get to. Finally Eric opens a door and throws me inside before walking in himself and closing the door. He turns facing me and glares his eyes look dark and evil.

"Are you divergent?" He screams at me. 

His face is turning red from the amount of force of his word. I jump back into the wall behind me. I can't talk. I can barely breathe, I am so scared. I can only nod.

"Damn it, D!" He punches the wall so hard bits of rock fly into the air. I let out a yelp. "Do you know what you are putting me through. You are literally the whole reason I am here, doing this. Your why I didn't get a choice. They want you, people like you dead. They want to experiment on you, control you, make you kill those you care about and then use you over again and again till you are useless. Then they will dispose of you."

I see traces of tears forming in his black eyes. I hesitantly take a small step off the wall towards him. 

"What am I supposed to do? They want me to program you to do something and if you don't do it your dead. I cant kill you. You're my sister, you're the whole reason I agreed in the first place. I did all this because it was the only way to insure you would be safe, and now it has all gone to hell." 

I take another step forward. Be brave my mind tells me.

"What do you mean you did this to keep me safe?" 

I realize my voice is barely above a whisper, my heart is racing I am scared to die. I am worried because Eric has never once acted this way about anything ever, but I am brave enough to try to fight to try to live.

He relaxes a bit like his body is too heavy to hold straight up anymore. It is like he ages right before my eyes. No longer is he my big brother that always made me smile, but a man that has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"Back before all this started I was in a special class, which I excelled in I didn't realize till it was too late that it was actually a test to choose who would be coming here to start up the whole Dauntless leadership change. When I discovered I would no longer have a choice in my life I tried to back out of it, but our dad caught wind of it and he told me that if I backed out or tried to get kicked out you would be forced into it instead. He said if you weren't good enough he was going to use you as a lab rat till you broke then dispose of you. He blackmailed me to become this by making me have the only choice I was ever going to get. Become this or let you die. It was never a choice I loved you, I still love you. You're my little sister, but now because you had to be divergent it doesn't matter all of this, your still going to be a damn lab rat, your still going to die and I still have no choice." 

He sinks to the ground. He lays his head on the door behind him, his eyes toward the ceiling making sure not to meet mine. I see moisture glisten his cheek and I know he is crying. It hurts my heart seeing him like this, but it hurts even more knowing he is like this because of me. I walk over to him and sink to the floor next to him. I rest my head on his shoulder. He puts his arm around me and pulls me into an embrace. No malice, no love, just a hug letting me know he is there and we are both at this moment completely helpless.

"What are you going to do?" 

I ask him after what seems like hours though it was most likely only a couple of minutes. He was no longer hugging me and I was no longer sitting next to him by the door. I was still sitting but back against the wall across from him.

"I am going to save you and finish everything I started here."

"How? There should be no way you can do both, I know what your planning I heard it all through the meeting you were having, and I cant let you hurt innocent people or turn my friends into murderers."

"Look. I will get it to work, I am going to hide your divergence, I am going to get you unhooked from the program so you will never be included into it, and I am going to continue with my original orders.

"But you cant." I plead.

He is angry again.His fist slams into the ground next to him.

"I can and I will, or you will die. I will give you the choice, but know this if you are convicted of being divergent they will experiment on you till the serums work on you. Then after they are done with you, you will die. Your friends and all the rest of the plans will still happen anyway, the question is do you want to save yourself and maybe a few select people from the fate the rest will endure? I will let you keep Justin off the program or you can let him become an unwilling pawn, what will you choose?"

I cant let Justin become a murderer. I love him to much and I know me dying would hurt him so much, but he could move on and find someone else.  Unless he was a mindless drone in the Erudite and Dauntless rise for power. I could live and keep him from the program, I knew there was no choice.

"What do I have to do to keep Justin safe from the program?"

"Wow. You must really love him, to risk everything for him."

"I do." 

I hope I will get to tell him how much I truly love him.

"Your going to have to hurt someone close to you, not him but someone."

"I can't kill anyone."

"You wont have to, just beat them up and inject them with some paralysis serum and make it look like they are dead, then you will "wake up" from the sim. You will cry and freak out scream what ever you need to do to sell it. Then get them to the hospital before they wake up. The big problem will be you wont have time to tell anyone the plan so it will be really hard to pull off." He stands holding out a hand for me I grab it and he lifts me to my feet. "Come on we been here to long we are going to the office to start this." 

He hands me a syringe with some clear liquid inside and I put it in my bra keeping it safe till the right time to use it.

"I didn't need to see you do that."

I couldn't help the same laugh that came from my throat. We walk out of the room and he grabs my wrist again his face back to the dark evil Eric, Dauntless leader that he is and me not having to pretend to hide my fear. I am afraid, but being Dauntless never was meant to make us fearless. It is to teach us to fight despite our fear, and I will fight, and I will win.