T H R E E

a/n: this is set after the events of breaking dawn.

Eleanor Martin's POV

Gran had always been a beautiful woman. When she was younger, she had long hair that was even darker than mine and sparkly brown eyes.

Even though the rest of her has changed since then, her dark eyes still hold the kind gleam that makes you think that she knows something that you don't. Like she was in on the greatest joke of all, but she was the only one who knew it.

Some would call it grace, some would pinpoint it as happiness... others would say beauty, but I know it to be wisdom. She could know everything in the world and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

In these past few weeks, three things have been happening. One: Gran has been telling me all of these stories of things that have happened in her life, all of the tales having lessons to be learned and heeded. Two: Her condition has been getting worse over time. Three: I have started to develop some kind of weird attraction towards her doctor.

Something about him draws me. It may be his gentle voice, or his caring eyes. It may be the unmistakable feeling that I get when I am near him; like I'm doing something that I shouldn't be doing.

Something about him whispers danger despite everything else about him screaming safety. Something is not right.

But that irregularity is what keeps pulling me back. It constantly keeps my brain on edge, as if it is trying to figure out what it is about him that just isn't right. It is not something that I have experienced before. It is not something that can be explained away with a few thoughts. It is something that churns deep in my soul when I am near him.

Oh Christ, I'm starting to sound like an angst-filled teenaged girl rather than a responsible 21-year-old woman. And not only am I responsible for my own life, but also the life of my grandmother.

I sigh and take a long look at the clock, seeing that it is almost time for Gran to take her last pill and get ready for bed. I get up from the kitchen table, where I had been looking through her bills and life insurance policies for her, and I walk into the living room where she had been watching one of her "stories".

"Hey, Gran? It's almost time for bed." I say and she looks at me and nods with a smile, glancing at her watch.

"Glory be!" She exclaims, making me smile and laugh softly. "I sure lost track of the time!"

"That's okay," I say, helping her off of the recliner and into the wheelchair. "I did too. Which pajamas do you want to wear tonight?" I ask, wheeling her down the hall to her bedroom.

"The blue ones." She replies, the whole exchange childlike in a sense.

I nod and put the safety breaks on the chair once we reach her bedroom. She removes her jewelry, setting everything onto her oak nightstand. As she does this, I retrieve her fresh pajamas from her closet. I help her change into them, being sure to respect her privacy and not make her feel helpless.

I help her into the bed, handing her a pair of warm socks to put on her feet so that she doesn't get cold. I can feel that spring is just around the corner, but the bitterly cold nights are still fighting in winter's favor. I bring her the pill and a small glass of water from the crystal carafe on her vanity dresser.

She swallows the pill and puts the remaining water onto the bedside table. I turn the lights off other than the lamp and settle into the routine I've fallen into this past month or so. I sit down in the rocking chair like I do every night like she asks me to, staying until she falls asleep. When I hear her breathing slow into a steady pace, I look up to see her asleep, a peaceful expression on her face.

I rise silently, flicking the lamp off as I open the door, the light in the hallway streaming in a diagonal line across her bed. I hesitate on the threshold before turning back, pressing a small kiss to the woman's forehead.

"I love you, Gran." I whisper before exiting the room, leaving the door cracked just enough so I would be able to hear her from my room across the hall should she need me in the night.

I quickly prepare myself for bed, sliding between the sheets of the guest bedroom that has become mine. With my mind swimming with thoughts - like always - I finally get myself to fall asleep, dreaming of nothingness.