Chapter One

Chapter One

The sound of a piano was playing softly as he guided me to the ball room. I noticed that people were looking at us and I saw the jealously that was hidden behind the plastered polite smiles. My blonde hair fell to my waist in curls, and my ice blue eyes caught the kaleidoscope of colours that shone from the chandelier. While I was cool, he was warm; his chocolate brown hair was matched with a set of kind, hazel eyes. Although on the exterior we seemed to be different there couldn't have beenmore alike individuals then the two of us. We didn't need to speak works aloud to understand what the other meant; a simple glance held the knowledge of a thousand unspoken words.

A few couples laughed and some shared smiles or kisses laced with champagne , but him and I were here on a mission. Tonight was the night when everything would change. The night when we would rebel against the Solstice.

The Solstice were a group of vampires; the vampire equivalency of a human government system. They were aristocratic, and the rest of us vampires didn't have much say in anything. They had strict rules; if you made one wrong move you would be locked under their watch, stranded in captivity.

On both the winter, and summer solstices they had a celebration of our creation, and thanked our mother, Lilith. We would fast for the entire day, but as soon as nightfall hit, we would be able to kill as many humans as we wanted. They were also the only days that the creation of vampires were prohibitied. The Solstice had very specific, possibly even greedy, views on creating vampires, they believed that human life is precious and should only be used as a means to feed.

About a century ago the wanderers went on a rampage and started a mass creation of vampires. They had carelessly slaughtered humans and made new vampires to create larger nests. That was when the Solstice was established. They seeked out the maniacal monsters and killed them all. Ever since then we had lived in an ongoing punishment where they made sure that we stay under their lock and key. 

We had undergone decades of cruel punishment for crimes that we didn't even commit. As the bloodshed decreased, the amount of vampires decreased with it. We started finding ourselves dwindling in numbers, the wanderers were becoming the majority whereas the once glorious and plentiful nests were shrinking before our ancient eyes.

I had had enough of the Solstice and so I took him aside, my accomplice, lover, friend, and told him that things needed to change. They needed to know that they couldn't just control us. We were nosferatu, the creatures of the night. We were born to run free. I knew that we had to do something terrible to get the attention of the Solstice, to make them understand that vampires can't be tamed. And that is precisely what we would be doing tonight. We would be killing the entire royal family.

*

The vampire network reached out to all of the regions of the world, splitting into smaller nests for each region. The wanderers are individual people who travel amoungst themselves There was a small group of rebellions who were here with us tonight, and we called ourselves the Red Rubies.

I looked up at him and sighed. He raised one of his eyebrows and twirled me in a small circle then whispered in my ear, with a voice so velvety and soft even I, the Ice Queen could shiver at, “The clock is ticking my lady. Soon we shall be full to the brim with royal blood, but spare no seconds after the killings. We must kill, drink, and flee.”

I jabbed my elbow sharply into his stomach and hissed under my breath, “Hush Jonathon. Do you want people to overhear?”

He grunted and flashed his fangs at me, but with his eyes silently agreed to be quiet. We danced till the song ended then he inconspicuously led me to the right side of the dance floor, which was deserted.