CHAPTER TWO

SOMERSET, MAY 1885

CHAPTER TWO

‘But my dear Mr Martindale, I promised Sarah, your dear departed wife, that when Esther came of suitable age I would take her under my wing and introduce her to London society in the time honoured way. She is turning eighteen now. It is time.’

Arlene Peacock clutched a hand to her breast dramatically.

‘You must not prevent me from keeping that promise, sir. Sarah was not only my friend, but was like a sister to me.’ She shook her head. ‘I shall be distraught, devastated if I am not allowed to keep that sacred promise.’

     ‘Mrs Peacock, I would not dream of preventing it,'  Mr Martindale exclaimed hurriedly. ‘I hesitate simply because Esther has made it plain to me that she does not want to enter society. She is a shy girl, you know.’

     Mrs Peacock’s lips compressed in disapproval.

     ‘What Esther wants is of little consequence,’ she said brusquely. ‘It is her duty to you and her dear departed mother to find a husband of some substance.’

     Mr Martindale raised his brows. ‘Why? My fortune is considerable. She need never marry if she does not wish it. After my days she will be a woman of some worth; an independent woman.’

     ‘Never marry?’ Mrs Peacock looked thoroughly shocked. ‘But it is every woman’s duty to be a good wife to some worthy man. If Esther persists in these strange notions she will be a laughing stock in the county.’

     ‘Of course my daughter wishes to wed at some time,’ Mr Martindale said promptly. ‘But in her own time.’

     Mrs Peacocked looked at him aghast.

     ‘You allow her to decide her own future?’ She shook her head. ‘I have never heard such a thing, never. Young girls’ minds are not strong enough to decide such matters. You must insist that she accompany me and my own daughter to London this season.’

     Mr Martindale hesitated. ‘You think it wise?’

     ‘It is imperative, sir,’ Mrs Peacock opined with great conviction. ‘And of course she must be kitted out with everything. You must rent a house for the season at the best address. She must be provided with the most fashionable wardrobe. No expense must be spared, sir.’

     Mr Martindale was thoughtful. ‘How much do you think this venture will cost?’

     He was gazing through the window at the time he spoke and therefore failed to see the look of triumph in his visitor’s eyes, and the heightened colour that came into her plump cheeks.

     She named a sum.

     Mr Martindale turned and looked at her in some surprise. ‘As much as that?’

‘It cannot be done for less, Mr Martindale, I assure you. To scrimp on this would cast a very unfavourable shadow on Esther in the eyes of society.’

‘Very well. It shall be as you advise,’ he conceded.

Mrs Peacock rose to her feet. ‘Now you must be firm with Esther,’ she warned. ‘It is for her own good.’

Mr Martindale rose to his feet too with a sigh.

‘It will be difficult,’ he said. ‘I have never directed or restricted her in any way, and she has never made me regret it. Esther may be a girl of strong mind but her integrity can never be in question. I hesitate to force her into a course of action she does not wish.’