CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

PADDINGTON STATION, LATE AFTERNOON

Steven Ashgrove left the hackney and made his way into the station. As usual the place was crowded. Being jostled did nothing to improve his foul mood which had been exacerbated by his unreasonable relatives; especially his wife, Catherine who he expected to support him in all things.

     He walked to the required platform glad to see that the train from the West Country had not yet pulled in.

Initially he had been irritated and worried by Delia’s insistence in joining him in London. How would he manage to keep the two segments of his life from clashing? He decided he must play it by ear, although Delia’s demands of his time might be unmanageable.

He pictured her as he had last seen her, sitting at her dressing table, her lovely face and naked form for his eyes only. Remembering, his mood softened. He had not seen her for a week and now he realised how much he had missed her; too long to be without her charms.

He resolved that as soon as they had reached their suite of rooms at the hotel he would take her to bed. It was his reward. He deserved it. His excitement increased as the train began slowly to edge its way into the station.

Steven’s eager gaze scanned the first class passengers descending. Finally he saw Delia. She was being helped to step down by a tall man in clerical garb. The cleric signaled a porter who went immediately to take charge of her baggage.

Steven went forward quickly to meet her as the cleric doffed his hat and departed.

‘Delia, my darling,’ Steven began and went to clasp her in his arms to kiss her.

‘Don’t maul me, Steven!’ Delia almost spat the words out as she shrugged his arms away. ‘I have had the most horrendous journey, with no maid to assist me. A lady should not have to bear it.’

‘Delia, my sweet...’

‘You should have engaged a maid for me from the start,’ she complained, her lovely face etched with exasperation and ill-humour. ‘Even Mrs Dorkins would have been better than no one. Really, Steven! I am neglected, and it is too bad of you.’

‘Your new maid awaits you at the hotel, my dear. I will get a hackney immediately.’ He signaled the porter to follow them, and tried to take her elbow as they moved toward the entrance.

Delia pulled her arm free. ‘If it had not been for the kindness of a young man travelling in the same compartment, I don’t know what I should have done.’

‘Young man?’ Steven’s tone was sharp.

‘A young clergyman,’ Delia said. ‘He was an absolute brick; running backwards and forwards as the various stops bringing me refreshments. I tell you, I fancy I might have expired without his help.’

‘Delia, I think I do not approve of you associating with some strange young man...’

Delia stopped in her tracks, her face turning to him, her lovely eyes flashing her anger. ‘Then you should have had the decency to accompany me or at last provide me with proper companionship. Really, Steven, I am thinking you undervalue me.’

‘That is not true!’ he protested, taking her arm again and urging her forward. People about then were beginning to turn their heads to stare.

‘I have booked a suite at one of the best hotels in Town; the Carlton.’

Delia shrugged. ‘I suppose the Carton will be adequate.’

More than adequate, Steven mused and very expensive. He had hoped that Delia would have been content with a hotel in a less fashionable area, so that he visits to her would go unnoticed. But he knew she would never agree to it.