Ch. 10

It was Thanksgiving.
I walked through the night, staring at the midnight moon that hung like a mighty empress in the black sky. No stars sparkled in its beautiful honor tonight. I came to the shed that stood covered in darkness of night. The night of midnight. Yes, the clock had struck 12 when I had left my house to come here. And it was now Thanksgiving. It was time.
Ninny stood cloaked right outside her shed, a box by her side. I was sure it was a pink box all decorated with pretty rubies, but the darkness bathed it and made it almost unseeable. Ninny took down the hood of her black, torn cloak.
"This is it. The ritual. Now, go get Botch and Stupe. And when you get back, get into your costume." Ninny said, darkly.
I nodded and dashed off. First-- I figured-- I'd get Botch. I'd get him, and he'd help me escort Stupe to the shed. Botch lived in the Autumn Woods. I could see him immediately-- sleeping restfully beneath a mighty oak. I shook him gently.
"Hey, Botch." I whispered.
"What?" he groaned, upon waking up.
"Botch! I need you with something!" I said.
I'd let Ninny tell him.
"Okay. I'm up." Botch said, getting up.
"Let's go."
We both walked to the jailhouse. The light was still on, the people who worked there still up and filling out papers. I walked up to Stupe's cell and took a good look at the monster who slept. Pale white with gashes and scars all over, her one eye a hellish red and glassy googly. And that IV, how that maroon blood ran into Stupe's arm like a snake!
And seeing how she breathed when she slept chilled me from deep inside-- she resembled a scary monster when she breathed, a monster with toxic cigarette breath.
"You brought me from my sleep to visit her?" Botch asked in wince.
"No, but we gotta get her out of here!" I said.
I walked up to the guy working there.
"I'd like to bail out Stupe." I said, firmness in my voice.
The guy looked up at me. I reached into my pocket and threw upon the table all the money I had and hoped it was enough. The guy studied it and nodded. Turns out that I did have enough! The guy walked to Stupe's cell and unlocked it. The noise of the door unlocking woke Stupe.
"Get out!" the guy said.
Stupe walked out, wincing at her scars. Then she stood right in front of me, a frown of sadness on her cracked mouth as she dragged her hand across the metal IV.
"She's been talking a lot of suicide; must be a withdrawal effect. She hasn't been on drugs for the entire day. But I tell you this, she's still getting punished for her cruelty of murder. In a week she is to be brought back to go into the madhouse. I don't know how long she will be in there, 'til she's better, I guess. But just to warn you." the guy explained.
I nodded, and Botch and I helped the weak Stupe to the shed. There, we met Ninny.
"What's going on?" Botch asked.
Ninny whispered everything to Botch so that Stupe would not hear. Then, she grabbed a costume from the box and handed it to me.
"Wear this. It's part of the ritual that everyone must be in costume while forming a circle around her and shouting out the wrong she's done." Ninny explained.
"How will this help?" I whispered.
"Well, when her friends are all surrounding her and shaming her without cease, she feels torture until she suddenly sees what she's done to herself and that we are only helping." Ninny explained.
"Now, put on your costume."
I took a look at my costume-- a cat costume. Not really that much of a costume, just orange ears and a tail. Not much, but enough.
"Why am I here?" Stupe asked.
"Because you have wronged your friends for the last time." Ninny said as I put on the cat tail and ears.
"Ready?" she asked me.
"Ready!" I said.
And we were. We were here with Stupe, and we all were in costume-- Ninny in her black cloak, Botch in his moose hat, and I in my cat wear. We were ready.
"Form friendship circle!" Ninny commanded.
We all held hands and formed a tight circle around Stupe. It was a circle so tight-- tight as a hug-- that Stupe could not get out. There was no escaping from this.
"You have killed Dunce!" Ninny barked.
"You killed Dimwit!" Botch barked.
"You tried to ruin Thanksgiving, the most important holiday ever to us as friends! Thanksgiving is supposed to be a thankful holiday where we all get together. Together! And you have killed our friends and slaughtered the feast!" I snapped.
"Monster!" Ninny barked.
"Enemy!" Botch barked.
"Fiend!" I barked.
Monster, enemy, fiend. These words we all barked and repeated, faster and faster. Louder and louder. I could see as Stupe tried to break away. She tossed and turned in the tight friendship circle, but her IV stood just outside. If she tossed and turned much more, she could end up tying the IV cord around her and tripping and choking. And with one bad trip the needle could rip out.
There was no escaping. Stupe tried, but no escape. She had no choice! She had no choice but to stand and let us yell out.
"Monster!"
"Enemy!"
"Fiend!"
Monster, enemy, fiend, we yelled louder and louder. And the more Stupe fought it, the louder we yelled. Stupe drew back in fear of our burning truths. I knew that in that very few minutes, the flames of shame had risen up and burned before her. I could not see it in her eyes, but could feel it from her generous heart. Yes, she was still generous! Somewhere, somewhere deep inside that pale corpse, there was still a beautiful gem.
The more Stupe squirmed around in the circle, it meant that this gem was fighting its way out. Stupe was slowly realizing with burning wildness what she'd done to herself, but she didn't want to know. She kept with her fighting, fighting of the feeling. But we kept on with our chant. 
"Monster!"
"Enemy!"
"Fiend!"
Stupe screamed and slapped me on the face-- right where the big scratch from when I had fell on Dimwit's death day was! But I did not back down. I just chanted louder. Then, Ninny and Botch started chanting,
"Begone, drug addict!"
I let this be in the background while I broke the friendship circle and yelled,
"Yes, what they say is true! You are a monster! You are an enemy! And you are a fiend! These words are what you are, and what you're doomed to always be! Doomed! Yes, you followed in the footsteps of a drug dealer named Doomed! And now you have become Doomed! All these shots that you been taking, all this life that you been wasting--"
Stupe started to back away slowly, but I just walked forward while she walked backward and kept with my yell.
"It's all in vain, Stupe! All in vain! All just a waste of the joyful days leading up to Thanksgiving-- oh, we thought they were-- and a waste of your life! A big, dangerous wasting away of the life you once had and will never, ever get back! You'll never get it back, and you will never again let glow that stupendous sparkle that once twinkled in your eyes-- it is forever sealed away, and you have been punishèd!"
I pushed her, and she fell. She looked up at me, tears pooling in her eye. Tears! The ritual had worked!
"Stupe?" I asked, wanting to be sure.
Stupe buried her face in her hands in soft silence.
"Stupe? Are you okay?" I asked, kneeling next to her and patting her shoulder.
She looked at me in great woe that had so overcome her, but from a short distance behind we could hear Ninny yelling,
"Cry, drug addict!"
Stupe flinched as if forced, and then buried her face back into her hands. She let out short, quiet sobbing noises.
"I've ruined everything." she whispered to me.
"I've ruined Thanksgiving. I've killed Dunce and Dinwit, and I've almost killed myself. I'm a monster, ugly from the inside out. And a monster is good for nothing, a creature born to leave."
I hugged her in understanding, but she just shoved me off and ran away. I looked at Ninny and Botch.
"It is expected of any drug addict to be full of woe after the ritual. She may feel better after returning from the madhouse or maybe some rehab." Botch said helpfully.
I decided to go after her.
Next thing I knew we were at the Mystery Shack. Darn that place, the very place that I had seen Stupe get those hideous gashes all on her arms! I hid in a bush and watched her slowly walk to a little window beside me. Inside the shack was dark, just pure darkness. Then, a dark being came at the window. He was so black that I could only see his glowing white eyes. A light in the darkness was so easily found!
"Hey." the dark guy said.
"You know Doomed, right?" Stupe asked.
"Doomed? Yes, I do know him! I kidnapped him once when he scratched my car! I was a great drug dealer, and feared by all. Now my life's almost at its bitter end-- it was the drugs that are eating away my days! I have made my final decision to give up selling the thing that is killing me and go sell things that'll kill others the way drugs are killing me-- become an apothecary." the dark guy explained.
"So, you are the apothecary that Doomed has talked to me about. Tell me, miserable apothecary, what poisons do you have?" Stupe asked.
Poisons?! I did not like where this was going!
"Let me see..." the grim voice said, and then a long, black hand reached out the window, holding a little vial of purple liquid.
Stupe took the vial and gave the apothecary a little bit of money.
"Have a happy death..." he grinned, and then he was gone.
Then Stupe again took off running in the night. I wanted to go after her, but I just couldn't. I was glued to the ground, thinking up the poison. Poison! Oh no! What was Stupe going to do with a vial of poison?