Chapter 3

"Em, are you there? Emily!"

Emily snaps out of her trail of thoughts and looks at the girl waving her hand around trying to get her attention.

"Sorry, Han," Emily says, biting her lip. "I was just distracted. What were you saying about Jordan?"

Hanna raises her eyebrows and folds her arms.

"Clearly," she scoffs. "Never mind Jordan— what's with you? Apparently you're seeing someone, and for some reason, you haven't told me about it yet."

Emily furrows her eyebrows.

"What? What makes you think that?" the dark-haired girl asks.

"Because I know you really well," Hanna laughs, putting her hand on Emily's shoulders. "Come on! Who is it? I've always supported your decisions, even when you texted me about how you became the womanizer of California. A real player. I find it hard to believe that you've been in Rosewood this long and haven't gotten any action. So spill, what girl have you attracted now?"

Emily ponders it for a moment. She and Hanna aren't close in the way they used to be. They talk about Charlotte sometimes, and about the investigation. Sometimes they talk about their personal lives. It does sort of feel like old times. There's just been a lot more distance between everyone in the group.

But if she's going to get close to anyone again, she's glad that it's Hanna. She has missed her perky blonde like hell while away in California. Their lives went opposite directions after high school, but Emily still feels close to her. She feels close to her, even if they really aren't as close as they were back then. It's hard to jump right back to having the friendship they used to have, but it does seem to be progressing. Emily suspects that the longer they both stay in Rosewood and spend time together, the stronger this friendship is going to grow.

"You didn't just do her and ditch her, I can tell. You're gazing about this one. She must mean something a little more than a hook-up," Hanna smirks. "Is she girlfriend material? It looks like you're falling for her."

"It's complicated," Emily shakes her head.

That is the truth, though. It's beyond complicated.

"Believe me, I've heard that one before. But sometimes it isn't as complicated as you think it is. Sometimes it just takes a little courage to admit some feelings, and things can work out," Hanna explains.

"No, you'll have to believe me when I say it's complicated. Like, really complicated," Emily tries.

"Well, just putting it out there: I was totally right about you seeing somebody!" Hanna exclaims, clapping her hands together proudly. "I feel accomplished. I do know you."

Emily chuckles.

"So, am I going to get the name of the lucky lady?" Hanna asks.

"Han..." Emily mutters. "She and I are not together. We may have done something that she probably thinks is a mistake, and—"

"You did have sex with her!" Hanna exclaims.

Emily rolls her eyes playfully.

"Be mature," she scoffs. "Anyways, as I was saying... I feel like she'll think it's a mistake because the situation is so complicated, and I don't want it to mess our friendship up. We have a really great friendship that goes way past this romance stuff. And it's nothing new. She's been in my past romances before."