Chapter 1: 3

Part 3

"Projection?" Shu asked. He was leaning against the chairman's desk. "That still doesn't explain how they managed to get to the answer key."

"I was thinking maybe it was someone who could read the teacher's mind."

"How would that work? No one has two abilities and the answer key wasn't even known by the teacher before it was handed out. There wasn't enough time to write it down and give the answers to the person with projection."

Time.

Shu had a point. Even if this person could read minds that wouldn't have given them enough time. They didn't even know which was the right test. Something else was going on.

"I'll go investigate the Light Music Club." I said, getting up and heading for the door. Shu called after me.

"Good luck. And don't forget about rent tonight." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes and ran back into the hallways reviewing everything I knew. This person with projection would allow more than one person to see the test without having to hand out cheat sheets. But even someone with projection couldn't do this alone. There had to be an accomplice in the act. Someone who could see the cheat sheet before it was even decided.

I stopped. The Light Music Club's door was right in front of me. I opened it to find the same group around the table with their tea cups and cakes. (This is definatly K-ON) and marched over to the girl named Haruka.

"How did you do that!" I exclaimed with the most excitement I could muster. I wanted in on their operations.

She smiled. "So I assume you got a good grade?"

"Yeah. But how did you do that?" I asked again.

A girl, the one with bagged eyes who looked scared out of her mind, walked over to me with a shy expression. "I-I'm Nagisa." She explained. "I used my ability...I hope we can b-be friends."

I kept my smile, although I wasn't sure about this situation. "Your ability is to project images right?"

She jumped at my voice. "Y-yeah."

"How did you get the answer key?" I asked, this time not playing around.

Haruka stood up to rest her hands on Nagisa's shoulders. "That's enough, okay? Only privileged are allowed to know the secret."

And with that, I was told to leave the room. As she guided me out I saw that Kano was standing just outside the door. Her back was to the wall as she crossed her arms and leaned against it. "So, now you know the truth?"

"Yeah. That's a neat ability."

"But not enough to fully cheat?"

I was surprised by her forwardness. "No. It isn't. Who is working with her? Is it someone in the club?"

"No. It's not someone in the club." She pushed off the wall. "Look, I know who you are. Your working as a private investigator with the chairwoman to find the one who's been cheating." I nodded. "I thought so. After all, I can see what's about to happen."

I curved my brow. "It's you. You see into the future test answers and give them to Nagisa so she can give them to everyone else. You're doing it for money?"

"No!" She burst, then calmed herself. "I'm doing it to help Nagisa. Nagisa wanted more friends. She's always getting picked on and all she wanted was to belong. I told her I'd do anything to help her and she decided this. It was Haruka that thought about making a profit off it. She's only using Nagisa for money." Her expression turned to dark hate. "I know you're going to turn her in. I can see that. I also know that you're a Zero."