Chapter 3

While Andrea was handing over the glasses of lemonade to the officers, John took the tray and brought it outside to the other officers and gave them cookies. While everyone was busy, Cherry and Lauren went inside the car, Lauren in the passenger’s seat. Cherry drove to the nearest 7-eleven store and parked somewhere near the store and opened the door for Lauren. Lauren was so giddy that she ran-off inside the store to get a cup. Cherry followed behind.

Lauren took the cup and made herself some Slurpee and Cherry paid for it.

“I thought you wanted some chocolate to go with that?” Cherry asked.

“Oh yes! Lauren must’ve forgotten.” Lauren replied.

Lauren looked at the stand but it was empty. An old woman was holding a Hersheys bar and noticed that Lauren was looking for chocolate.

“I’m sorry, looks like I got the last.” The old lady said, smiling.

Lauren simply looked at her and then at the chocolate bar. Then she looked at Cherry. Then she began to sob.

The old lady was stunned. She was unaccustomed to seeing grown women crying over chocolate bars. She simply stared at this twenty-seven year old woman crying and now sitting at the floor and hands flapping up and down. This sight broke her heart.

“Oh no, Lauren.” Cherry said, approaching Lauren.

“No more Hershey!’ Lauren said.

“I’m sorry Ma’am.” Cherry said to the old lady. “She tends to act like that.”

“Oh  my, how long has she been like that?’ The old lady asked.

“Ever since her husband had an affair with the maid, leaving their son and accidentally set the house on fire.” Cherry replied.

“Oh my goodness. How old is the boy?”

“Two.”

“When did it happen?”

“Two years ago. Her son’s three years old next week.”

“Oh my, you know what, here you go.” The old lady said, giving Lauren the chocolate.

“Oh thank you, Mrs. Claus!” Lauren said, hugging the old woman.

“I’m sure I can give my grandson something else. She can have it. I’ll pray for her baby boy’s soul.” The old lady said.

“Oh thank you.” Cherry said.