CHAPTER 7: THE ILIAD

Chapter 10: The Iliad (The Riddle)

Khael found out the person behind the attempt of killing Gray. On the other hand, Gray found out the person behind the supposed-to-be sabotage for the play, Romeo and Juliet. It was a girl named Chary. Miyembro ito ng Repertory Club ngunit dahil si Rachel ang napili, she was furious and planned to cancel the play by knocking Rachel with sleeping pills.

So far, Bridle has been peaceful. The attempt of poisoning Gray ay hindi na namin pinaalam sa iba to keep Gray's life private at para na rin sa welfare ng eskwelahan. It's not good to know that there were attempted murders in Bridle. Wala na ang maraming tao mula sa showcase kahapon at ngayon ay balik na naman kami sa aming normal na klase. Hinihintay namin ang aming literature teacher ngunit trenta minutos na ang lumipas ay wala pa ito. It's our last subject for the morning session.

"Nadiyan na si Maam," anunsiyo ng kaklase kong si Marcus. Pumasok naman ang guro naming si Miss Mendez. Pawis na pawis ang mukha nito and she seems to be bothered. May hawak siyang mga papel.

"Sorry for being late class," panimula niya. "Something came up. Do you remember the book in the library which is put in a glass case?"

The book in the glass case? Is she referring to The Iliad? Nagbulong-bulongan naman ang mga kaklae ko at sumagot naman ang isa kong kaklase na si Yuri. "Yes Ma'am, I think it's the Iliad."

"Yes, that's it. That's Homer's first edition of The Iliad. It's very rare to find first editions of classical books kaya Bridle consider it as a treasure," wika ni Miss Mendez. Yeah, most first edition books are treasures, I should say, lalo na sa tulad kong book lover.

"The bad news is that book was gone from its glass case in the library at kahit hinanap na namin sa ibang shelf, wala parin doon," Miss Mendez said. Is it stolen or somebody is just pulling some pranks of hiding the book? Nang lingunin ko si Gray ay matamang nakatitig lang ito kay Miss Mendez.

"But there was a message that the culprit left which states that the book is still within Bridle's premises but we have to solve a riddle so that we can find the book, but the faculty cannot solve it so we're giving the riddles to the students to help us locate the book," pagpapatuloy ni Miss Mendez.

Riddles? Ano naman ang motibo ng salarin at tinago ang libro and leave a riddle? Marahil ay wala lang iyong magawa sa buhay at napagtripan ang libro. Ipinamigay niya sa amin ang hawak-hawak na papel. It was the riddle and it goes like this:

Athena and Achilles have it common but I don't need it that much; a little will do. Hephaesthus is Greek but the Roman's first is needed; it's erupting fire indeed! Zeus has nothing but it's Hera's third! It's the end of war!

Hint:

9 years right after the start of Trojan War, it's loud when there's war but at peace when there's truce.

Nang kinalabit ako ni Gray ay napalingon ako sa kanya. "Do you have any idea about this stupid riddle?," tanong niya at umiling ako. His facial expression tells me he's bored. Nagpaalam naman si Miss Mendez matapos ipamigay ang riddle. She gave us the remaining hour to crack the riddle since they will also try to decode it. Lumabas ang ilan sa mga classmates namin at iilan lang kaming naiwan don.

Gray sat beside me. "Ano ang naiisip mong sagot sa riddle na ito? What's the motive of hiding the book and sending this riddle anyway?"

I shook my head. "Ewan, I really don't get it. At maging ang motibo ng kung sino mang gumawa nito. Binasa ko ulit ang riddle. What does Athena has something in common with Achilles?," I said as I tried to examine the riddle.