Chapter 7: Collarbone

A/N: Image above is of Grant Gustin who portrays Austin

The whistle blew. It was three-quarter time.

"Isn't he great?" Natalie gushed to Anita.

"Yeah, your brother's pretty good." Anita admitted, so far being impressed by his basketball skills.

Natalie gave Anita a questioning look. "My brother? I was talking about Caleb. Did you see that free throw!"

Anita looked at Natalie's grin. Was she serious? Over the past month all she seemed to talk about was Caleb. Caleb. Caleb. She was becoming quite irritable.

"Yeah, he was great." Anita finally said, slumping in her seat. All she wanted to do was leave.

With Natalie constantly chatting her ear off about Caleb, she was beginning to miss it. Miss feeling the touch of a guy, the closeness of another, the distraction.

Oh how she missed the distraction.

Her gaze rested on the cheerleaders performing. She recognised Dakota immediately, her caramel hair tied up in a high pony tail, framing her face. She was right in front with a surprisingly perky attitude leading the charge.

"Go Caleb!" Anita jumped at Natalie's scream. The cheerleaders were finishing up, the basketball game commencing once again.

Anita did not understand why Natalie was even cheering. Caleb was on the bench but her brother was actually on the court. Austin had the ball at the moment and had managed to manoeuvre around a defender, with the help of a pass back from Jordan, and got a shot at the hoop. He scored two points.

Natalie didn't even seem to notice.

Anita rolled her eyes, unimpressed. She didn't understand why Natalie complained so much about her relationship with her brother, when she didn't seem to care about it herself. You would think that she would at least acknowledge that her brother was on the team, but Anita knew she was too self-involved at that moment to bother.

So as soon as the buzzer went signalling the end of the game, the entire stand leapt to their feet in celebration. Austin's team had won. Knowing that Natalie was just about to run off and ditch her, Anita made a break away to the door, before anybody could stop her.

She had enjoyed the game. Watching sport had always been a hobby of hers, but sitting next to Natalie during it didn't exactly make the experience pleasant.

Natalie rushed down off of the stands, not noticing Anita's quick disappearance. She was too preoccupied with throwing herself at Caleb. "You did amazing!" She exclaimed for the fifth time in in thirty seconds.

Something over her shoulder caught his attention and soon he placed a kiss on the top of her head. "Thanks babe." He smiled.

Later that week, Anita, Sidney and Wren were walking back from cross country practice drenched in sweat. It was only just passed 8am and all three of their shoulders were slumped, it had been a tough training.

"How are you shin splints?" Sidney asked Wren, dabbing a towel on the back of her neck.

His face turned into a grimace. "Painful." He admitted. "And I can't exactly sit out on training with our first meet this weekend."

"Oh god." Anita shook her head. It would be her first meet ever, she was nervous.

Wren wrapped a playful arm around her shoulders. "You'll be fine. You're times are great."

"Yeah." Sidney chimed in. "You have nothing to worry about."

Anita blushed at the compliments. "Thanks guys."