The Devil's Helper

"You wont," I said, trying to make how unsure I felt less obvious.

He cocked an eyebrow at me but didn't comment.

"Well, what do you want me to do? Lock you inside my car again?"

"I was hoping for something a little nicer."

I sighed, "Well let's go get the stuff while we figure it out."

"And I'm just supposed to walk around looking like this?" He pointed to his eyes.

I groaned, "isn't there some kind of evil super power that enables you to see with your eyes closed."

"Of course, I can also fly."

"I'll be back," I said through my teeth, "don't move."

With that, I stalked to a 24 hours convenience store and bought a pair of $2 sunglasses.

When I carried them back to the alley I was relieved to find him still standing there.

"Put these on." I tossed them at him.

He caught them in the air and evaluated them, "I'm pretty sure these are women's glasses."

"Deal with it," I said, "Now come on, we need to get Peters stuff."

I took off walking without really checking to see if he would follow because I already knew he would.

His heavy footsteps caught up to me, "You should really be nicer to me."

"No, I don't think I'm going to do that."

"I'm fucking malignant," he huffed, "treat me as such."

I didn't even answer, which seemed to annoy him more. I could feel his dead eyes glare at me through the pink tinted frames.

We got back to Peters usual spot and everything was where we'd left it, much to my relief.

I put the guitar back in its case and gathered up the rest of his stuff. Delilah was sitting in the alley and I asked her if she could watch his stuff.

She didn't say anything but I gave her the remaining cash from my pocket and she smiled, so I figured it was okay.

"Where are we going?" The demon asked from behind me as I was sitting everything next to Delilah.

She eyed him suspiciously. I didn't know how much she knew about Peters condition, but I could guess from her face that she knew enough.

I waved goodbye and walked out of the alley.

"You didn't answer me."

"I don't really have an answer yet." I said tucking my icy fingers into the pockets of my jacket, " I mean you're a demon, why aren't you out pillaging villages and killing fair maidens or whatever it is you do?"

He smiled, but it was a strange smile to see on Peter's face. Where he usually had big happy creases around his eyes and a flash of pink gums, there was only a devilish grin.

"I don't like to be nearly that upfront. I like the long con."

"Sure."

"What do you mean?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I just mean, sure."

A low growl rumbled in his chest and I laughed.

But I still didn't know what I was supposed to do with him. So I took a deep breath and did the one thing that screamed 'bad idea'. I locked myself in the car with him, metaphorically this time.

After texting Miriam to make sure she was spending the night elsewhere I began redirecting us towards my dorm.

"Where are we going?"

"My room." I finally answered.

"Really?" He drew the word out mischievously.

"There's nowhere else for me to put you."

"Or you just want to be alone with me."

I snorted, "honestly, I think I miss when you just flopped around like a pissy fish."

"A fish is really what came to mind? Why do I not believe that?"

"Just keep telling yourself that," I sighed, "whatever makes you feel better."

"Someone's got an attitude today."

"I wonder what would cause that?" I mocked.

He didn't answer, and the rest of the trip to my building was silent.

When we got up to the room I peeled off my coat and went to my closet. The demon stood in the corner watching me.

"So what do we do now?" He asked.

"As little as possible until you go away," I said as I hung up the jacket.

After closing the door to I stepped back and bumped into him. I hadn't even heard him come up behind me.

I turned around to see him hovering over me. The sunglasses were sitting on Miriam's bed, so his eyes were in full view.

"Do you want to know what I think sounds fun?"

"Not really."

"I think it would be funny to force Petey boy to watch himself kill you."

"You're not going to do that."

"Why are you always so sure of that?" He stepped forward and I stepped back, bumping into the closet door.

"If it was that easy then you would have done it a long time ago." I really hoped I was right.

"Maybe," he paused and I knew that I was at least little correct, even though I didn't know why," I guess I could go the other way and oblige him a little."

He smiled and pressed me to the door, raising his hands to my hips.

I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Sure, yeah right."

"Why do you think he's so innocent?" He asked, sounding almost annoyed, "You know he let me out on purpose right? He wouldn't have if he didn't want me to fucking kill them." And then a wicked smile crossed his face, "And you should hear the things he thinks about doing to you."

He looked like he was going to go on, his hands sliding down my hips, but he was cut off by Lorne walking into the room.