Home: July 4, 2011

home \höm\ n 1 : one's residence: also : HOUSE 2 : the social unit formed by a family living together 3 : a congenial environment: also : HABITAT 4 : a place of origin 5 : the objective in various game

home vb homed: hom-ing 1 : to go or return home 2 : to proceed to or toward a source of radiated energy used as a guide

Merriam-Webster and Garfield Dictionary (1999)

---

Richard glanced at the Caramoan table and saw Alec and Callie seemingly in a deep conversation. He saw Alec's deep frown and almost confrontational stance and Callie's calm composure, never wavering, and he wondered if they were arguing. But if they were, what were they arguing about? They had only seen each other again after two years, and their last encounter was anything but a source of argument. What was happening?

When Callie's eyes found his from halfway across the room and he saw her smile, he felt safe, almost secure, as if she was letting him in on some secret.

He excused himself from the conversation he was having with a couple of Sinag players and wormed his way towards the Caramoan table, interrupted by some greetings on the way.

"What do you mean by that?" he overhead Alec asking Callie when he reached them. Callie looked up, her gaze locking with Richard's. Alec stood, shaking hands with Richard.

"Hey man," Alec greeted his nemesis, who returned his greeting with just a curt nod. Richard turned to Callie, reaching for her hand. "You alright here?" he asked her, and Callie almost blushed.

"Of course," she replied. Alec was watching this interplay with a curious amusement. When Callie said everything changed, did she include her relationship with Richard too? he thought. He watched the exchange of glances, the almost imperceptible frown of concern on Richard's face and the look of almost relief on Callie's.

They changed. The dynamics between them changed.

Callie was first to break their gazes on each other and left out a soft "oh," fishing her vibrating phone from her purse. She barely glanced on the AMOLED screen when she answered, panic written all over on her face.

"Hey. Is everything alright?" she asked, the worry in her voice not escaping Richard's ears. He turned towards her, placing an arm over her shoulder, as if to calm her.

Callie listened, Richard's mother, Louren, on the other line. She was visiting the Philippines for a month and was staying with her and Richard. She was also the one who helped Richard to convince Callie into attending this party.

"Sorry to call, but Milo said he won't sleep until he talks to you guys," Louren said apologetically, and Callie's face softened, a small smile appearing on her face. She covered the mouthpiece and turned to Richard. "He's fine. He just wants his goodnight thing from you and me," she whispered, and something in Alec's head clicked.

Oh.

His realization was only confirmed when Richard took the phone from Callie and crooned into it, "Hey, little guy. Can't sleep?" in a tone that Alec can only recall his father using on him when he was a little boy.

Some sniffles came as a reply, and Richard wanted to go home at that instant to hug Milo. "Papa. Mama. Home," Milo said, his voice quivering as if he would start to cry again any moment soon.

Richard sighed. "We'll be home in a few hours. Lala is there—"

"No!" the kid stammered, obviously not enjoying the company of his grandmother. "Mama. Papa. HOME!"

Richard handed the phone to Callie. "He is going all 'mama-papa-home' on me, Cal," Richard said, obviously torn and not knowing what to do.

Callie sighed, shooting Richard a pointed look. "I told you it's a bad idea to leave him alone," she said and then she turned to the phone. "Hey kiddo—" she started, but was immediately cut off by Milo.

"Mama, home. Please," the toddler pleaded, and Callie cast a helpless look towards Richard's direction.

"I will see what I can do. But please, sleep now. It is past your bedtime," Callie whispered, and Milo replied with just a whimper. "I love you, Milo," Callie managed to whisper before there was a shuffle on the other line and Louren came on. "I will handle this. Go and enjoy the party, Callie," she said in her motherly tone.

As soon as Callie ended the call, Richard pulled her into a one-arm hug. He held her around the nape, whispering into her ear, "Two years, Cal. You gave up two years for me and Milo. Let loose tonight—"

"My idea of letting loose is actually just being in the mall or park with you and Milo. Or even just staying at home and just being with you guys, making cow cupcakes or origami or some other sappy shit. Everything now involves you and Milo, you have to get that, Richard," she whispered back, looking up at him, her eyes brimming with emotions.

Richard felt weak at Callie's words and at the pain in Callie's eyes. He heaved a sigh. "A couple of hours, Cal. Just for a couple of hours. I promise to take you home right away after two hours," he whispered back. He kissed her on the hair and then released her. "In the meantime, I think you have a couple of things to settle?" He cocked his head towards Alec's direction.

Callie sighed, nodding. Richard stepped away from them, heading back to the group he was talking to earlier before he walked over to Callie.

Callie motioned for her and Alec to sit down. He did, and he was partly thankful the waiter came by with refills for their drinks, as he reckons he'll be drunk before the party even officially starts. Callie breathed deeply, took a small sip of her iced tea, and then said, "So... I guess your list of questions got longer?"

Alec looked at her, his gaze questioning. He drew in a gulp of air before speaking. "What the hell, Callie? You and Richard have a kid?"

Callie gave him a bittersweet smile, setting her glass of iced tea on the table calmly.

"Yes. We do."