Calm: April 22, 2009

calm \käm, kälm\ n 1 : a period or a condition free from storms, high winds, or rough water 2 : complete or almost complete absence of wind 3 : a state of tranquility

calm vb : to make or become calm

calm adj : marked by calm : STILL, UNRUFFLED — calmly adv calmness n

Merriam-Webster and Garfield Dictionary (1999)

---

"God, I love this."

Richard flopped on the bed next to Callie who was lying on her tummy, head propped on her elbow. He just placed the movie of choice in the DVD player: My Best Friend's Wedding.

Yes, how sappy.

The movie was starting and Richard started to rub Callie's back. Her body relaxed at his touch, as it always does whenever he touches her.

"You love the movie?" she asked a few minutes in the movie, feigning innocence. Richard flopped next to her on his tummy and then gazed into her eyes. Callie dropped her gaze immediately after, hair that she released from the braids falling to cover her face.

Richard reached over, tucking her hair behind her ear. Callie tried to focus on the movie but with him next to her, she couldn't. "This," Richard whispered, his jet black eyes intense, "you and me. Quiet nights."

Callie gave him a small smile in response. "Told you that there is this part of you that likes quiet." She rolled over and laid on her back, totally giving up on the movie. Richard scooted over, looming over her.

"No, I just like you. You're the silence. The mute mode. The quiet. When I'm with you or around you everything is quiet. Calm," Richard told her, sincerity in his voice. Callie was lost again in his eyes, and now in his words. She exhaled, her breath warm on Richard's face.

"Alec wants to know me," she said, changing topics, and Richard shrugged.

"Yeah, I saw him talking to you. But I also saw him walk away. You asked him to back off?"

"Sort of. I told him I wasn't ready and he said he'd come for me when he sees me at the next party."

Richard scoffed. "Jeez, Cal, you always say you aren't ready. When will you be ready?"

It had been a recurring question that Richard asked Callie, one that never got any answer. But this time, Callie was armed with one.

She pulled herself up, settling for an Indian sit, hands clasped on her lap. She looked deeply into Richard's eyes, and she drew in a deep breath. "When it'll never hurt again when I love."

Richard touched her hands, giving them a squeeze. "There is never an assurance that we'll never hurt when we love. Those two things come hand in hand, Cal. You love the person—you give them power to hurt you. Pain in love and loving despite the pain is what makes everything worth it." Callie didn't believe him, shaking her head before he was even done speaking.

"How about you, Richard? Why haven't you loved again?" she asked back. "We have known each other for five years—never a single serious relationship."

Richard grimaced, transferring his hand on her thigh, and he knows he's about to tread dangerous territory. He knew why, but he never said it to any living person, especially to Callie. And he probably won't.

"So what are you going to do the next time you'll see Alec in a party? Run away? He's not the type to back down, Cal. I saw how he won Tricia's love," Richard said, and Callie sighed in frustration. He didn't answer her question. Again.

"This," she said, and she leaned in, kissing Richard full on the lips. At first Richard opted not to respond, but he couldn't resist Callie—he couldn't ever resist Callie—and he gave in.

He gave in.

"Callie," Richard groaned, his voice restrained, pulling away but not really. He held her close, pulling her atop him, feeling her against his body. He always loved how good Callie felt, especially after he and Callie had gotten closer physically. She transferred her hair to one side and then laid her head on his chest.

The quiet.

What Richard didn't know was that Callie also loved the quiet that came along with him. The calmness she feels when she's around him. And now, hearing his heartbeat, feeling him as he placed his hands on her back, rubbing, appreciating the kiss on the forehead that he's giving her, she knew there isn't anywhere she wanted to be on that night.

She gave in.

Into him.

Like he gave in, into her.

Twobecame one again.