Chapter 16-A: FESTIVAL

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

The day has come when Jean's paintings will be displayed for the first time at the Coconut Grove Art Festival.  And Agent Frank Stone has sent an invitation to Kyle Averell, who is sending his daughter there as a sort of bait.

Enjoy the first half of chapter 16 of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~  

The painting of "Girl With Rabbits" was still propped up in one of Kyle Averell's exquisite office chairs. He stared at it while he responded to the person sitting on the opposite side of his desk. "Out of the question. This close to the wedding ... what if she made a run for it? She's as stubborn as her mother was."

Trish, his visitor, also studied the portrait of Carinne and her bunnies. "Still don't know who painted it?"

Averell shook his head, glaring at the painting as if he could intimidate an answer out of it.

"Could it be the chauffeur?" Trish wondered. "You know, the one who 'saved her,'" Trish made finger quotes in the air, "from Iglesias? She said he drew cartoons for her."

Averell waved off the suggestion. "Dubreau was fish food a long time ago," he said. He pointed to the portrait, "This is somebody new."

"I believe she knows who the artist is," Trish said. "You should have seen her face when I unwrapped it. I think he sent the portrait to her, along with that advertising flyer, because he wants her to meet him at the art festival. So, let her meet him – on your terms."

Averell's eyes lifted from the painting and came to rest on Trish's eager face. "On my terms."

She nodded, smiling.

After a moment's thought, he returned her smile. "What will you tell Carinne? If she suspects a trap, she won't cooperate, you know."

"It's a treat for just us girls. A last fling before the wedding," Trish said. "And, it's, sort of, a peace offering from Daddy."

Mitchell took pictures with her smartphone while a professional photographer shot the official version of artist Jean Deaux and the chief judge of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival posing on either side of the painting entitled "Girl With Roses

Mitchell took pictures with her smartphone while a professional photographer shot the official version of artist Jean Deaux and the chief judge of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival posing on either side of the painting entitled "Girl With Roses." On the top right-hand corner of the painting's frame was mounted a large, gilt-edged blue ribbon proclaiming Best New Artist.