Chapter 16-B: FESTIVAL

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Kyle Averell's daughter and his bodyguards are about to force Jean and Mitchell into a dangerous battle with forces totally unknown to the innocent couple, right in the middle of the crowded Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

Enjoy the second half of Chapter 16 of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~  

Mitchell was alone inside the booth, dusting paintings nervously with her handkerchief, when Trish stopped and stared at the big painting of the "Girl With Roses

Mitchell was alone inside the booth, dusting paintings nervously with her handkerchief, when Trish stopped and stared at the big painting of the "Girl With Roses." There was no mistaking the girl's identity. Trish had been talking with her only seconds before.

"Grandma! What big cojones you have!" Trish announced.

Startled, Mitchell swung to face her. "Ah! H-hello! May we – I mean, I – may I h-help you w-with something?"

Trish gestured to the painting that would soon spell an artist's doom. "Well, there she is! Big as life. Bigger maybe. Wearing just a smile and a big blue ribbon. You must be very proud."

Mitchell, like a doting mother, missing the sarcasm in Trish's voice, said, "Oh, yes. Very."

Trish leaned into the booth and spoke in an exaggerated stage whisper. "Aren't you the least little bit worried? I mean, putting her right out here in front of God and everybody?"

Still thinking about the possibility of rain, Mitchell looked at the sky before she said, "Well, I was, but ... I think we're ready."

Trish stepped back from the booth, gave Mitchell a smile, and craned her neck to search for something or someone down the street. Festival crowds were beginning to fill the pavement between the rows of booths. Trish had to stand on tiptoe and jockey for position in the throng until she spotted someone in the distance. She motioned for them to come her way, then she moved to meet them.

Carinne had stopped at a food truck with windows on opposite sides, luring customers with its vapors of spicy Caribbean cooking

Carinne had stopped at a food truck with windows on opposite sides, luring customers with its vapors of spicy Caribbean cooking. She approached one side of the truck just as Jean, on the opposite side of the truck, turned to leave with two iced soft drinks in his hands.