15. Musical Divide

" Good morning Ramaiah" greeted Rudra with a yawn. He stretched himself and looked at Ramaiah. He looked in a bad mood.

" What happened to you? Why are you so grumpy today?" asked Rudra. His expression was now serious.

" Very good morning Rudra Sir." said Ramaiah.

Rudra smiled. " Ramaiah how many times have I told you that don't call me Sir. We both studied together."

" So perhaps this was the reason why you think my age is in mid thirties?"

Rudra was stunned. How does he know this?

" Or that I am really shy in matters of telling my age to someone?"

Somebody must have told him... but who?

" Durga asked me." said Ramaiah, almost answering his question.

" Durga!"

" Yes Durga. Rudra I have one serious question to ask. Do you like her?"

Rudra looked at him, devoid of expression. " What made you think that?"

" I have been observing that you are telling lies, be it in the office or in the bus. I think that you like her."

" I don't know Ramaiah. I don't know why I am lying to her."

Ramaiah patted his back. " But you could've told her that I have a disease due to which my hairs have almost turned white."

Rudra looked down embarrassed.

" Don't get me wrong but I told her to make her laugh."

Ramaiah was silent for a moment. "See you do care for her. Now tell me why do you care for her?"

" I can't tell you... I have promised someone not to utter this anyone."

Ramaiah took few steps back. "Listen Rudra! Until now I thought we were friends. But from now on we will be only office colleagues."

Rudra held Ramaiah's right wrist. "Don't talk like this. You are like my brother. Please understand that I cannot tell you. At least here. Once we will reach Mysore, we will discuss about it."

Ramaiah hugged Rudra. Suddenly, a voice echoed in the room. "You both are still friends?"

Rudra folded his left fist. Ramaiah held his right shoulder. "Rudra please calm down. Don't talk to him."

Rudra whispered to Ramaiah, without breaking the eye contact with the man, " What is he doing here?"

"I don't know Rudra. I don't know."

" Where is Durga?"

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

" Dr. Anjali... I mean Anjali aunty, the coffee is ready."

" Good. You remembered to call me aunty."

Durga smiled. Holding the tray with four cups of coffee in it, Durga walked slowly as if counting the number of steps she walked. Slowly and steadily she crossed kitchen and reached the living room. She puffed her chest as if she had accomplished a feat.

" Aunty, what are those trophies and medals?" asked Durga, curiously. Out of curiosity, she had asked Ramaiah his age. When he questioned her, she blurted out everything.

"Those are mine. I am a Carnatic music singer."

Durga stopped on her tracks. She kept the tray on the small wooden table. She ran excitedly, and looked at the display of trophies and medals behind the glass of showcase.