A Fate Foretold 17

When Ally awoke in the morning, Christian was no longer next to her. After dressing and padding downstairs, she found Clarice in the kitchen, cooking breakfast with Zazzie.

            “Good morning,” Ally said,

            Clarice spun around. “Good morning,” she beamed, friendlier than usual. There was also a spark of guilt and pity in her eyes. “Are you hungry? We’re making pancakes and waffles with all the trimmings.”

            Zazzie shot Ally a reassuring smile, which Ally returned to assure her friend that she was alright.

            “Sit down,” Clarice urged.

            “I can help,” Ally protested.

            “Nonsense.” She forced Ally to take a seat, and soon afterwards a plate piled high with pancakes, waffles, assorted fruit, whipped cream, and syrup was deposited in front of the girl.

            “Thank you,” she murmured. “Where is everyone else?” Ally asked as she began to eat.

            Clarice and Zazzie exchanged a look. “Everyone got up early this morning. Linda is on her way back to British Columbia. Lee Hawkins has been sent down to the Californian headquarters, where the alpha will deliver his punishment. Liam is driving him down and will also serve as an eyewitness. Lee will be punished for what he did.”

            Ally nodded carefully. “That’s good. What about everyone else? Where are they?”

            “They’re working. They first had to sort out what to do with the Hawkinses, but Christian was adamant that they should be out of the house this morning. Kate was sent to Fairbanks for the day along with Avery, Michael, and Gavin, who were going anyway.”

            Ally nodded again, continuing to eat. She was not accustomed to such pleasantries and effort coming from the pack unit and it made her feel tense.

            Christian walked into the room, his eyes lighting up with concern when he spotted Ally sitting at the table. “How are you?” he asked, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder.

            Ally did not expect him to touch her in plain view of other members of the pack unit. Near rape or not, touching and shows of affection were still a bad idea. She leaned forward ever so slightly to dislodge his hand. “I’m fine. I’m being spoiled with breakfast.” She shot Clarice and Zazzie a smile.

            “When you finish, will you come find me in the private office, please? Take your time.”

            When she was finished eating and her automatic offer to help clean up had been waved away by Clarice, Ally sought Christian out. “You wanted to see me?” she said as she closed the door.

            “How are you really?” he asked, brow furrowing with concern.

            “I really am fine.”

            Christian studied her face. She looked just as calm and collected as ever before. Her face was difficult to read at the best of times, so he couldn’t say whether or not she really was fine. He would have to take her word for it.

            “Lee is gone,” he told her bluntly. “I promise that he’ll be punished for what he did.”

            “That’s good,” she answered. “That’s all that matters. Then we can get back to normal.”