Reassigned

"And so then I said: 'It's Tom, Chief, it feels weird for you to call me sir...'" Tom Laskey, Captain of the UNSC Infinity said. The table erupt with laughter, even Roland let a chuckle escape him. Palmer had her head resting on her fist, she was bored out of her mind. She finally gained the courage to ask for dismissal, and was rewarded with a "yes" from Del Rio, who was at this meeting as well. Palmer was in civilian clothes, which was just a green UNSC T-shirt, casual shoes, and a pair of denim jeans. She left, automatically setting course for Gabe's room. She walked the whole way to the mid decks at the end of the ship, then knocked and announced it was her. The door opened and revealed a female spartan in a blue Fireteam Majestic hoodie standing there.

"Oh- Commander!" She fumbled, saluting. Palmer dismissed her in half annoyance, then asked:

"At ease, Spartan. Where's Thorne?"

"He got shipped out, he's bunking in the med bay." She replied.

"And who are you?" Palmer questioned.

"Spartan Naiya Ray, Commander. I'm the new head of Majestic, the guys behind me are my team." Ray replied. Two of the four Spartans waved, Palmer gave a approving smile, waved back, said goodbye to the new spartans, and left. She made her way to the med bay and asked for Thorne, who came out from a room at the sound of his name.

"Sar- Commander?" He asked.

"Yes. Follow me, spartan?" She replied, beckoning him over.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Palmer and Thorne returned to her quarters, eventually just hanging out. Palmer made the two of them coffee, which she had to hide from the occasional inspection. Sugar was technically illegal.

"You feeling better?" She asked, her voice soft and semi quiet.

"Well, I lost my friends, got retired, then was kicked out of my room and replaced. So yeah, I'm doing just peachy, Sarah." He replied, sipping the smouldering beverage and rubbing his eyes.

"You tired? You look like you haven't slept in a week." She remarked, chuckling once.

"I haven't."

Sarah stopped smiling.

"Hey, listen Gabe. You're going to be out for a while so... would you like to... move in with me?" She asked. He almost spit out his coffee, not in a bad way though.

"Really? Are you sure? From what I've seen, you've really only been distant for as long as I've known you." He exclaimed. She nodded.

"A girl gets lonely sometimes, even a genetically enhanced super soldier girl." She replied, they both chuckled a bit.

"I'd love to. It's kind of weird though, I mean me, cannon fodder, living with you, a commander." He said in the most genuine and happy voice Sarah had heard ever. She smiled and nodded.

"I'll have Roland get a guy to nab your stuff and bring it up. Wanna watch a movie?" She said.

"Sure."

While the two waited for the "room service" as Roland had so boldly titled them, they watched an old movie titled: "Batman: Under The Red Hood". It focused on a broken Batman who had lost everything, but regained his sanity when the one he lost returned to him. Gabe cried at the end.