CUPCAKES AND LEMON TARTS

I stared at the dress laid out before me

I stared at the dress laid out before me. It was ankle-length, reminiscent of the dress I was wearing before. But similarities stopped there. The dress was unlike any other article of clothing I had ever laid my eyes on. Its fabric's texture was almost ghostly, with the smoothness of silk and the sheer sheen of chiffon. Its unexplainable colour appeared to be weaved from threads of bismuth. I got a little giddy just at the sight of it, my body itching to be wrapped with the garment fit for the divine. It was rare for me to get this excited over a dress.

Quintia had offered to help me get changed, but I politely declined, I had dressed myself well enough for more than half of my life. Slipping into the dress, I exited the room to find Xen waiting.

He was propped against the wall, arms crossed as he gave me a mischievous smile, "Have you slept well?"

I regarded his cheerful self warily, "Like a baby."

"Glad to hear that, since you'll be here for a while."

"Don't remind me. And just try keeping me here, I won't hesitate to tear that orifice you call a mouth off your face—a wonderful method to shut you up."

Instead of disappearing, his smile grew wider, into a wolfish grin, "I would love to see you try," his purred as his eyes glinted with an untamed playfulness.

What is up with him today? I frowned, before turning to walk away.

"You're going in the wrong direction," Xen stated with an amused chuckle.

I spun around, eyes flashing with frustration as blood rushed to my face, my mouth opened and closed, for once at a loss of what to say. Xen got on my nerves. In fact, many things got on my nerves. The only reason he hadn't experienced the full extent of my exasperation yesterday was due to my honeymoon phase with strangers, and my desperation for a safe shelter.

"Shut up!" I stomped past him, praying that I would guess the next turn right to save myself from his teasing.

* * *

We arrived at the greenhouse—a large glass dome tinted with green and filled with queer vegetation located at the heart of the palace; according to what I was told on the brief carriage ride there. Brief, yes. But still ridiculous that someone had to get around his own home on carriages all the time.