Thirteen

As Light awoke from sleep, he was instantly reminded of his realization from the night before. He sighed sadly and gazed over at L who appeared to be still asleep. The teenager looked to the clock, seeing it was 7:43 AM. He moved his hand, about to touch L's shoulder to shake him awake, but stopped when the detective spoke.

"I'm awake, Yagami-kun," he murmured, turning to look at Light. The teenager retracted his hand and looked off, biting his lip. L took notice of his actions and sat up in his usual position. "Something troubling you?"

Light shook his head. A lie, but one he hoped L didn't notice.

L did.

"Something is bothering you," L stated blatantly, biting his thumb as his right foot rubbed over his left in thought. "Is Light-kun upset because of me? Did I have any part in it?"

Light ignored him and grabbed his bottle of water, sipping it.

L sighed. "What have I done, Light-kun?"

"Nothing," the teenager answered, too quickly to be believable.

"You're lying, but I cannot force you to tell me, so I guess I'll leave you alone."

Light heaved out a sigh and stared off, ignoring the insomniac. Why? He wasn't sure himself.

"I am thinking about letting you go," L murmured softly, gripping his knee tightly with his left hand while he chewed on the thumb of his right. Light looked at the insomniac, slightly confused. "You are eighteen, Light-kun. You need to live your life instead of being restricted. I can't help but to feel like everyone else is right about you not being Kira…"

'But part of me just doesn't want to lose you,' he finished in his head.

Light just nodded. "Ryuzaki," he uttered, causing L's eyes to glance towards him. "I know this may seem out of the blue, but I have a question to ask, if it's okay." L nodded and looked curiously at the teenager. "How do you feel about me, truthfully?"

"Truthfully?" L asked, and Light nodded. "I don't understand."

"Like, how do you feel… about me…?" Light asked slowly, scooting closer to L to get what he was saying across.

If L had any eyebrows to raise, they'd be raised.

"What are you talking about, Light-kun?"

Light sighed exasperatedly. "Do you have feelings for me?" He questioned, before quietly adding, "Just curious…"

L's eyes were wide as saucers. 'I should've seen this coming… If he really IS Kira, then he's probably trying to figure out what my feelings are for him, possibly to use them against me…? I feel like Kira would do such a thing; toy with someone's feelings and use those feelings against them… But I don't feel like Light-kun could do such a thing… Perhaps… Light-kun is truly just curious?'

Light's heart was pounding. 'He's sure taking awhile to answer… I wonder what he's thinking about… He's probably suspecting me of being Kira again…'

"Are you asking if I have any romantic feelings for you…?" L asked eventually, staring into Light's eyes.

"Yes," the teenager whispered, excited to know, yet, afraid of the answer.

L bit on his thumb and looked at his feet, his right foot rubbing over his left like it always did when he was in thought, before he finally thought of a suitable answer.

"I have a high level of respect for you, Light-kun," he uttered softly, looking at the teenager. "You are an intelligent, handsome young man. You are someone I can have conversations with easily because you understand me on an intellectual level, unlike most others. If I knew how to have romantic feelings for anyone… If I knew how to really love someone, no doubt, it would be you. I just don't really understand what romantic feelings– what love is like, therefore, I don't know if I do have those type of feelings for you or not. This is something I am unfamiliar with, something I have little to no experience in."

"So… you're just unsure?" Light asked, tilting his head and the detective nodded. "Maybe I can help you figure it out?"

"How, Light-kun?"

Light scooted as close to L as he could and looked into the insomniac's eyes, grabbing the hand that's thumb was being chewed on. L stared at their now intertwined hands.

"L," the teenager breathed, using his free hand to caress L's cheek. "Let me kiss you… Please…" He cupped L's cheek and rested his own forehead on L's, their breaths mingling as they were so close.

L's eyes instantly flickered to Light's, staring into the caramel pools with a bit of surprise in his own black eyes.

"I've never kissed anyone before," he admitted, squeezing Light's hand a little. The younger boy bit his own lip.

"Let me be your first kiss then, please…" He whispered, leaning in slightly so their noses were touching.

"I…" L breathed as he found himself tilting his head slightly and leaning closer.

There was a knock at the door. "Ryuzaki, I've brought you and Light breakfast." It was Watari. L then looked at the clock, seeing it read 8:04 AM, he sighed a bit.

L bit his lip as he pulled back slightly. 'I cannot believe I almost kissed Light Yagami… my suspect… Ah, damn, I cannot believe I let myself almost do this. I feel so ashamed… It feels… wrong. Light is dating Misa Amane… have we forgotten? I can't do this… I can't let myself…'

Light, realizing another attempt to kiss L failed, buried his face in the crook of the insomniac's neck, groaning mentally. 'Dammit, we were so close…'

L pulled away from Light and moved to the end of the bed. "You can come in," he told Watari, and then the older gentleman walked in with a cart of food. "Thank you." Watari smiled and nodded, leaving.

Light sighed and moved to the end of the bed as well. He found the food that was not as sweet as the others and decided to eat that.

The two sat in slightly awkward silence for awhile, just eating their food.

"Ryuzaki," Light whispered, looking at the insomniac. L just glanced at Light and kept eating. "Maybe we can talk about this later?" L nodded.

"Maybe," he breathed. Light turned away, deciding not to say anything else.

'I mustn't let myself get any closer to him…' L thought to himself. 'It'll end up bad for me, for him and for Amane-san… Even if any feelings for the boy arise, I mustn't act upon them.'

Meanwhile, the only thing Light could think was, 'I think I love him…'

Ill end up writing more soon probably but anyways, i hope you liked this c: byee