12. Abbie

( one week before camp, summer 15)

I'm sitting in my room, feeling a bit sad. I just got off the phone with Paige. She said she is super happy at her new school and that she has made loads of new friends.

I'm happy for her but I guess there was always a part of me that hoped she would come back. But by the sound of it, she's having a blast in California.

I'm also a bit frustrated. Every year Paige and I go on a week long camping trip. This year she said she couldn't come with us, because she was going to the beach with her new best friend instead. I guess that's how life works, it changes. Everything eventually changes.

Eventually you move to a different state or maybe even country for collage or to start your own family. You leave your childhood friends behind, replacing them with others. But I have a new best friend that goes to my school now, so I guess in a way, everything works out.

All of a sudden my door flies open and a small body jumps on top of me."Rowan!" She squeals.

I peel my sister off of me, setting her down on the bed. I smile,"hey Abbie."

She jumps up and down."guess what?!" Her blond hair is tied up in pigtails, bobbing up and down as she talks, her pink bow on the edge of her head, falling out.

She's six, meaning she gets overly excited about things. But I decide to play along,
"what?" I ask, my voice sounding overly happy and eager for her to tell me more.

She smiles, revealing two gapes in her mouth, empty, waiting for her-as my mom calls them- ' big girl' teeth. "Mom took me to the zoo!"

I already knew that, mom told me before they left, but I pretended I didn't know,"really? Lucky!" Actually I hated the zoo, especially in the summer. It's hot, sticky, smelly, and you can easily get lost in a crowded place like that. But some how my sister loves it.

Her eyes get really big, followed by a ginormous smile,"AND mom bought ice cream."

I spring up from my bed, standing up."Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go get some ice cream!"

"Yay!" She screeches with joy as she hops on my back and we run down stairs to go make ice cream sundays. I love ice cream.

Next chapter will be longer ;)

Xoxo
Gentry💜