Chapter 4

Lana

Paytah wasn't heavy at all when I reached him just in time, before he hit the ground.

"Paytah?" I ask. He struggles to get to his feet. When he can stand up on his own, I look at him worriedly. His eyes are huge, filled with confusion and fear. He's pale, and his body is shaking. He looks at me for a moment, then his eyes gaze somewhere else. I turn around, trying to see what he's staring at, but it's only the empty stairs.

"You alright?" I ask.

He nods, wiping some sweat off his forehead. He glances around then finally rests his eyes on me.

"Did I just faint?" The way he says it makes me want to laugh, but it's the nervous look on his face that makes me hold it in.

"Think so. I think you need some rest-"

"I'm okay." Is all he says. He looks at me and smiles a little. "Hi."

I laugh a little and give him a small hug. "Hey."

We both decide to go outside to get some fresh air, but I forgot this whole area was inside a glass dome. I look out and see people standing outside the dome, staring at all of us elements.

"Are they seriously wasting their time just looking?" I ask, and Paytah looks out and sees the people. He shakes his head a little. "Ridiculous." He mumbles.

"If you think about it, we're famous," I say, "everyone knows who we are."

"It's annoying." Is all he says. "I don't know if we're famous when half of these people want us dead."

It's silent. We take a seat on a bench, taking it all in.

"Did you see your family?" He asks.

"Yeah. They are all okay, thank god." I say. He smiles a little and nods, and it almost kills me to realize that Paytah doesn't exactly have a family. I wonder if he's seen some of his foster families, but it's not my place to ask. Besides, I think he's okay with me saying nothing at all.

"Paytah!"

We both turn our heads at a familiar voice.

It's Aira. Juris is behind her, struggling to keep up. Paytah stands up, and I notice him wincing as he pushes himself to his feet. But Aira doesn't seem to notice. She flings herself on him, her arms wrapped around his torso, her head dug perfectly into his chest.

And I think this is the first time in forever I see Paytah actually smile.

He lets out a laugh, then rests his chin on her head. "Hey." He says. Aira's chest heaves in and out, and she lets out a sob. There's something about Aira; her innocence, maybe, but there's something else too. Whatever it is, it makes Paytah's eyes water. She's so small, so kind, so freakin kind, maybe Paytah needs that once in a while.

And that's something I can't give very often.

She lets go and looks up at him, wiping her tears. "I though you were-"

"We're all okay." He says.

"Surprisingly," Juris says. He gives Paytah a classic side bro-hug, and then comes and sits by me. I hug him, because I haven't seen him for a while either. I abandoned them both last time I saw them. But he looks at me as though I never lied to him, never left him.