Chapter 12

The next day everyone had left by midmorning, everyone but Celeste. Celeste had come to the kitchen, after everyone had gone, and informed her that she would be staying on, and that she needed to have the bedroom next to Sam's cleaned, and her stuff moved into it. The task had occupied Penny most of the morning.

She would clean the other rooms the following day when Sam was at work so she wouldn't disturb him. As soon as his mother and Regan had left he had retreated into his office. Penny noted that he had shut the door which was something he almost never did.

Having decided to prepare a cold lunch of leftovers, she had just started to take things out in preparation for it when Sam entered the kitchen looking frustrated. "Can you be ready to leave in about half an hour, I thought we could go to the hospital and then get some lunch."

Penny nodded looking down at herself. "Can I have forty-five minutes?"

Sam smiled and picked up Sentry. "Sure, I'll do some kitten sitting and read the paper while I wait. I don't suppose there's any more coffee left?" He picked up the paper from the kitchen table and sat in the chair by the fireplace.

"Yes, but if I only have forty-five minutes you'll have to pour it yourself."

She heard him chuckle as she closed the door to her room.

Half an hour later she was showered and changed into a pair of blue jeans and a pretty light blue blouse with some ballet flats, having opted for a casual look. Her hair was pulled back neatly and her fly a ways were tamed, she was as good as she was going to get.

She walked out of her room, with a few minutes to spare, to see Sam resting his head against the side of the chair with his eyes closed, but as soon as she took a step into the room he opened his eyes and smiled at her. 'Ready?" he asked as he stood holding the little kitten in his large hand. "Where should we put her?"

"I keep her in my bathroom." She reached to take the kitten, her hands brushing his as the warm little body was transferred to her care. She gave the little kitten a kiss as she walked towards her room and locked the little being in her bathroom. "She'll be fine there. There's not too much she can get into."

He nodded as he led the way silently out the door and down to his truck.

They were both silent as he navigated Savannah's squares and tourists. It was the height of the season and the crosswalks were jammed. It always made Penny nervous about driving and she did her best to avoid the more crowded streets when she drove. Now Sam navigated the traffic and tourists while she enjoyed watching the scenery outside the window.

The drive to the hospital wasn't a long one and she couldn't help but wonder what it was like for Sam to drive the same route every day. What did he think about, did he ever think of her? Realizing that there was no reason why he ever would, she tried to focus on the other cars around them.

Sam pulled into the parking garage and parked the car in a reserved spot for physicians only. When he cut the engine he didn't move right away, instead he sat looking out the window at the people hurrying to and fro from the hospital across the street.

"Have you ever thought about getting married Penny?" Sam asked after a moment of silence. He turned to look at her as he asked the question and she was caught in the seriousness of his stare.

"Sure, what girl doesn't?" She swallowed hard. Granted for the past two years she had thought of it a lot more than she used to, and in her dreams she was always married to Sam.

"Would you consider marrying me?" He didn't back down with his stare and he watched her response intently.

Penny flushed, she couldn't help it. It was as if he read her thoughts and she could no longer hold his gaze as she looked down at her hands in her lap, remaining silent.