Chapter 6: Dare

I had to make things a bit more exciting for my next task for Neil, so I had to reel Danny and Sal in, because they’re all my only real connections to Neil. I don’t have his number. Funny, you’d think in this modern age, I would have gotten his number, found his Facebook and/or Twitter page, but I couldn’t. I wouldn’t. I feel like if I do that, I was desecrating whatever game Neil and I were playing if I made any other connection aside from this recorder.

I found Danny, working in his studio, teaching teeny tiny kids, girls of between three and eight years old learning ballet. They looked so cute and adorable that I wanted to hang out, but I had to leave—thanks to another creative workshop. Seriously, I think I have to hold on to Neil’s words that I have to stop.

He held up a hand when he saw me come in, and I stood there, watching him teach the kids about pirouettes and side leaps and first, second, third, fourth and fifth positions. After ten minutes, he walked over to me, towel and bottle of water in hand.

“You are so patient,” I told him, and Danny grinned, pulling me into a half-hug. “I trust you and Neil are doing good?” he said, and I nodded. I handed him the recorder, and he was shaking his head, that grin still plastered on his face.

“I see you guys are still playing the game.”

I shrugged, turning to leave. “It’s fun so far. And it keeps me and him on exciting ground,” I said, and he rolled his eyes. “See you in class tomorrow, L.”

I waved him my goodbye, and then I headed to Sal’s record shop. He perked up in his seat when he saw me come in, and I walked over to him and gave him a hug.

“I have a favor to ask,” I said when I released him, and he winked at me. “If this has anything to do with Neil, then consider it done,” Sal said, and I gave him a gentle smile. Neil was a nice person surrounded by equally nice people. Why can’t my world be like that?

“I need an album, but I think I know where I can find it,” I said, and he held out his hands as if letting me take the reins. “You know the drill, L,” he said, and he went back to the comics he was reading. I think it was Thor this time.

I walked over to the heartbreak section, ran through the albums there, found the one I was looking for, and stuck the notebook and my note.

I gave Sal one more hug before leaving. 

Press Play.

Vortexy. I love how Adam used that term. Trapped in something and you don’t know how to get out. Where no one understands you. Where even yourself is in an internal debacle with another version of yourself.

Thanks for letting me read that book. Although the next time you’d give me a book that you know would remotely make me cry, I would require you to be there to hold me when I cry. Or at least provide me with a roll of coreless tissue (because I don’t need the core). 

Head to Sal’s record shop. There, you need to find one album.

She is the woman who knows just how to put heartbreak in the right words, in the right songs. Real emotions. She’s like… Adam. I got through some days just by listening to her, and frankly, I find myself singing Rolling in the Deep for Marc on some days for some weird reason. Or Turning Tables.

Adele. Find her. 21.

When you do, you’ll find that the 3rd album on the rack was bundled with a book and a notebook. The book: Veronika Decides to Die by Paolo Coelho. It was just one of my favorites, frankly because it has a suicidal theme—haha. But seriously, I liked the story.