Chapter 15

Eric took off his immersion sets, blinked a few times, and watched the ceiling of UCLA's computer lab come into view. Still reclining, he placed the immersion sets on the table beside him, then crossed his arms, and drew in the room's chilly purified air.

His recent virtual venture was a resounding success. Not only did he contact Alice, he received a dinner invite with her and Victor. After accepting her offer, Eric couldn't wait to exit the world and update Arvin. But now back in reality, his spirits quickly dissolved.

Arvin's time was drawing to its conclusion, which dampened Eric's enthusiasm on all fronts. Could he do something to change this? He could try intervening, but to what effect? Who was he to stop Arvin's wipe? Nobody, really, but he had to try. He couldn't sit on the sidelines while Arvin's sentience blinked out for eternity.

Eric grabbed the immersion sets, then slipped them back over his face. When UCLA's homepage came back into view, he navigated to the faculty directory. He found his longtime supervisor, initiated a voice connection, and seconds later, the link established.

"Dr. Wright," the supervisor answered, his words beamed into Eric's auditory cortices.

"Hey, it's Eric."

"Well, well. Mr. Roberts. I was wondering when you'd call. You had me worried. I thought you hadn't called earlier because a session didn't turn out so well, and you were busy burying the bot's remains."

Eric laughed. He needed that.

"So," Dr. Wright continued, "how are things going with the bot? You really haven't tried to kill him, have you?"

"I tried. But unfortunately, he's built like a machine."

Now Dr. Wright chuckled.

"But really," Eric went on, "there hasn't been any bloodshed, and not because Arvin would rip me a new one. A lot more has been going on, and that's why I called."

"I'm all ears."

"Good. But um, how long are you gonna be in your office?"

"I don't know. Hour or so. Why's that?"

"I'm on campus right now–computer lab on the north side. If you have a few minutes, I can stop by."

"Sure. Come on over."

"Alright. I'll be there in about five."

"You got it."

The call ended.

Eric slowly worked his way out of the chair, moving gingerly so pooled blood could recirculate. Now back on his feet, he shook out the stiffness with more vigor, envying Arvin all the while. Bots could remain in the simulator without having body parts going gangrene. Must be nice.

Fully recovered, he started for the lab's exit, knowing it was broiling outside, but planning to walk nonetheless. With Dr. Wright's office a few minutes away, that would give him time to develop a strategy, one centered on obtaining Dr. Wright's assistance in securing Arvin a stay of execution.

As Eric strolled along the concrete walkways, the brutal sun punishing from above, he considered his proposal strategy. He needed to present Arvin as more useful alive than dead, but as a house bot, that limited his usefulness. But what about Arvin becoming a helper bot in some other capacity, perhaps here at the university?

Not likely.

UCLA had an array of maintenance bots, many of which actively tended the campus grounds. These bots seldom required repairs, so what the school had on hand was surely sufficient. What's more, Arvin cleaning latrines seemed counterintuitive, especially given his profound mind.