Chapter 27

As Mike and James headed towards Domonique's, Mike looked over. "Don't forget about your safety?" he asked, referring to Mary's comment, which she delivered before starting for Victor's apartment.

"In case you haven't noticed," James answered, "I'm not exactly a highly trained covert operative. Mary surmised this after handing me a pistol, and I stared at the weapon, blank-faced."

"So she taught you to use it?"

"Pretty much. I haven't fired it, but the weapon's ready. And as I understand it, I just need to lower the safety switch and pull the trigger. That's why she said don't forget about your safety."

Mike nodded. "It's good that she showed you. Who knows? We might come to need it."

James snapped over. "You still have yours. And I know this, because you pulled it on me... again."

Mike smiled. "Sorry about that. Greeting you with that thing is becoming a habit."

James shook his head. "I don't know why you pack heat in the first place. If you do react with violence, you should pay tribute to your roots and crush-kill-destroy."

Mike chuckled.

James then recalled something he considered at The Clover, but didn't have time to explore. "So what did you think of what Mary said? About you being more than human. More advanced and all."

"I think she's dead right." In the corner of Mike's eye, James deadpanned. Mike cast another smile. "Alright. I'm joking, but not entirely. In a lot of ways, she is right. I can register information that humans can't, process information much faster, and do both with ease. But at the same time, I'm not some God-like creature walking amongst mere mortals. What I can do is actually normal."

"Normal for your kind."

"Exactly. Look. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not unique. To illustrate, I think Mary's human-to-primate comparison works well. I mean, do humans get all high and mighty around chimps, and consider themselves master race deities? Of course not. They just understand that humans and chimps are different, then go on about their business."

James nodded. "That makes sense. And when you put it like that, it also makes bots seem benign, like they wouldn't go to war with humans, because why bother? Just like humans would consider warring against chimps a waste of time."

"And that's how bots want humans to see us, though it's easier said than done. But that figures, because humans have been the planet's apex species without contest, and suddenly, they have company in that regard."

"What do you expect? We're an arrogant bunch. Stubborn as hell, too."

Mike grinned. "Blessing and the curse." A moment later, he glanced over, but only for a second. He then faced forward, eyeing the sun as it sank into the horizon, and considered passing on sensitive information. Like before, he decided to risk it. "It may be hard for you to comprehend how bots think and operate, but in time, you will."

"What do you mean?"

"Humans will have our abilities soon enough, if you want them, of course. This might not happen for another few decades, but certainly within this century."

"What make you so certain?"

Mike let a moment pass. "Because we're going to give them to you."

James looked over.

"Oh, don't look so surprised. That's been going on for a while–humans replacing their body parts with electrical components. It's going to continue, though at a much faster rate. And how fast depends on how much we decide to assist."