☾Tell Me

Tell me everything's going to be okay.

I couldn't sleep in the bed, it was just too uncomfortable. I spent the whole night on the floor staring into the void of darkness. I couldn't sleep as my mind was preoccupied with "what ifs".

What if no one escaped? What if all the rogues were dead? What if it was all my fault?

I woke up when the moon was still stamped in the sky. I sat up and looked at the antler on the table next to me. I reached for it and ran my hands over the grooves. It was the only thing left to tell me it wasn't a dream. I spent the next few hours thinking about nothing and everything at the same time.

Archer came back in the morning with fresh food and water. Though it was a nice gesture that I appreciated, it was also something that I didn't really want.

"I brought breakfast," He said nonchalantly and placed the tray on my bed.

Archer told me it was March third, only one month had passed since I'd gone missing. I'd have to make up my midyear exams and all of the homework I'd missed. I'd have to choose which college I was going to in the fall and what on earth was I going to say to my parents?

"Maddy," Archer repeated and I met his brown eyes,  "At least drink something," He pushed the glass of water in my direction. My throat was uncomfortably dry so I gave in and chugged it all.

"You're going through shock, I get that, but you need to eat. I know how scary it must have been but you're safe now—"

"I wasn't their prisoner." That shut him up.

Archer let me eat in peace for about ten minutes before revisiting our conversation.

"Maddy," He began carefully as I took tiny bites out of my apple, "The rogues kidnapped you with the intention of killing you. They were not your friends."

No, he was wrong.

"You don't understand." I argued vehemently, itching to throw my apple at his face. But I was almost an adult, and adults didn't throw apples.

"Then explain it so I can." He waited patiently but I said nothing and instead reached for a piece of buttered toast. I took one bite and almost spit it out, it was so starchy.

"They didn't hurt me. They treated me better than any of you did." I accused bitterly. Archer stared at me with his deep brown eyes and there was something in them that I couldn't decipher.

"I'm sorry." His apology hung in the air.

Just then, Cassie ran in, her hair messy and face pink. I just stared at her, dressed in her white cotton sweater and skinny jeans.

"What. The. Hell. Happened. To. You." She asked, fists clenched. She took in my messy braids, ugly scars and frostbitten hands.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" I repeated Conrad's words.

Cassie put her hands on her hips, "You owe me, Maddy, I saved your ass."

I don't owe you anything, I never wanted to be found.

"Here, put this on!" Cassie threw one of her sweatshirts at me, along with leggings and moccasin slippers. "We're leaving in ten minutes."