Chapter 7: The Unexpected Game

Jerod pulls up in front of the supermarket. Public's. It is a pretty decent store and kind of like a mini version of Walmart. Even though only two or three cars are parked in the parking lot, I don't want to go inside. I hate everything about shopping. I hate the crowds, the queues, and the aching feet that come from walking around. I also have a special kind of contempt for overly attentive shopping assistants, the perky seasonal music playing in every store, and all the special deals tempting me to spend even more. I even hate the free food samples, seeing them as nothing more than ideal flu spreading agents.

Jerod turns off the car and looks at me, Caleb, and Carmen. "Let's all go in," he says as though he read my mind about staying in the car. "Let's buy what we need, some food, and a few drinks."

Everyone nods their agreement. I feel defeated. Jerod sounds like we are getting ready for a hurricane. Might as well be. Boy, only if he knew.

When we get inside of the store, there are no more than five people walking around. The Halloween costumes are in front. Halloween is only twenty-two more days away and they're already having a huge sale in preparation.

Jerod starts telling Doreen about what he wants to be for Halloween. A mad scientist. Doreen tells him she wants to be Dracula's wife. When she says this, Jerod pulls a move, "Hey, if you want, I could be Dracula." She looks at him and smirks. Her facial expression reads, You? Nah." She only laughs.

Carmen tugs on Jerod's shirt

Carmen tugs on Jerod's shirt. "Stay in the friend zone buddy." He starts to blush and slowly walks off toward the bakery section.

Caleb is pushing a cart and throwing all sorts of cakes and snacks into it as though someone randomly told him, treat yo' self

Caleb is pushing a cart and throwing all sorts of cakes and snacks into it as though someone randomly told him, treat yo' self. I have money, so it's okay.

We stack up on more than enough supplies. Water, juice, snacks, supplies, and personal items. Me? I secretly buy pepper spray, three pocket knives, and two flashlights that include the batteries.

As soon as I say goodbye to the cashier, something on the wall that catches my eye. It's an old painting of an old Navy man. His fists rest at his sides. And then he... blinks. I think I'm seeing things.

"Carmen... do you see this?" I pull her closer to the painting. Caleb, Jerod, and Doreen are all looking at it now. Even the cashier peeks over.

"What's wrong?" Jerod asks. Then he jolted back, along with the rest of us. The Navy guy did blink. Its eyes look at each one of us, but when it sees me, the man winks. Two shadows appear behind the man, one black and one white step out of the painting and tower over us. Before anyone can say anything, the lights go out.

Grim, dark, evil, and full of desperation, a voice echoes throughout the air

Grim, dark, evil, and full of desperation, a voice echoes throughout the air. I recognize that horrible voice. "Lights off... Begin," Mr. Harmon's voice floods the air throughout the store.

I become extremely uneasy as I feel my lips shut tight on their own. I feel a thin string uncomfortably slide through my lips, locking them shut. I can't open them. I quickly open my bag and unwrap the flashlight. I turn on the flashlight and see that Caleb and my friends lips are sewn shut, too. All of them touch their lips, trying to talk through them. Carmen looks at me. She's terrified.

Something in front of me makes a sound. I shine my flashlight in the direction the sounds come from. Something stands behind Carmen and I see him. I see him whisper, "You're dead," in her ear before dragging her away.

With the flashlight, I quickly dive for the body, not ready to play the game

With the flashlight, I quickly dive for the body, not ready to play the game. I am relieved when she grabs my hand. "I found a dead body!" My lips are able to say. Just like before...

The lights come back on. I look at him. I feel terrified. Through all the blood on his face, I'm still able to recognize him. I want to say something, but someone grabs him from behind.

 I want to say something, but someone grabs him from behind

"Run, Emily!" Jasper yells. Some of his blood drips on me. When I looked up to see who iss grabbing him, the air in my lungs escapes. It's Rosemary. She's pulling him toward the painting. It happen so fast. Before I can even blink, they are in the painting.

I run toward the painting and touch it. My finger almost goes through the canvas. The stitches fall off and all of us can talk again.

"What was that?" Jerod asks, looking around vigorously. Doreen and Carmen are also scared. Caleb stays with me, but the other three run toward the front door.

"Come on, Emily. We have to go!" dhe says.

I shake my head. "My friend is in there!" I said.

"We have to go to Texas, remember?" she asks.

For the longest moment, I think about Jasper. I owe him. The only reason he is with Mr. Harmon is because of me. Because I got him disqualified. He always tried to help me. He tried to warn me. Now, it's my turn to save him.

Without a second thought, I try to put my hand into the painting. However, this time, it doesn't go through. The painting turns solid. The Navy man doesn't blink. It is just a normal painting again. I am too late.