Chapter 11- Mishaps In The Love Club

“What do I tell Drew?” Adrian asks me on Friday as he hands me a calm Lucy before grabbing his bag. His stay here has become customary due to the fact that he now seems to be a permanent fixture in the Mason household. Not that I mind, this place is so big and solitary sometimes.

                “Why do you have to tell Drew anything?” I scowl at Adrian’s suggestion.

                “Because he’s going to want to know where you’re at or would you rather have him come to check on you himself in the house, where Lucy’s at?” Adrian’s sarcasm is not appreciated. He’s referring to the fact that I won’t be in school today. It’s a half day for me anyways but Lucy has a checkup with the doctor and then we’ll be spending the rest of the day together.

                “Just tell him I had plans or something,” I wave him off. It’s not like Drew will seriously care if I’m there or not.

                “Look, Drew is my boss per se, I’m his information source, and I’m supposed to know this shit. I’m covering for your ass so come up with a lie because if Drew bitches at me, I’ll bitch at you,” Adrian scowls at me.

                So, he doesn’t bitch at me already?

                Wow, I feel so special.

                “Tell him I had a meeting with my parent’s lawyers, you know since our eighteenth birthday is coming up, that should be plausible,” I come up with this lie.

                Because I’m a pretty little liar, no, I’m kidding.

                “Wow, finally I’m not the only brains here,” I think Adrian compliments me. You just never know with him.

                “Bye baby,” he leans in to kiss Lucy on the forehead.

                “Call me if anything happens and please be careful, don’t talk to strangers, I’ll meet you later to make sure everything’s fine,” Adrian warns before heading out the door and climbing into the car with Kohl. They’ve been dropped off a block from the school so that the others don’t get suspicious.

                “Uncle Adrian is so grouchy, right Lucy?” I coo down at the little girl in my arms who just looks up at me with a beaming smile.

                “Come on Lucy, we have to get ready,” I pass a smiling Claire as I head up the familiar winding staircase and into her room, the lilac color on the walls having a strange calming effect as I walk in. I head into the bathroom after I grab her baby shampoo, in order to give my baby a bath.

                “Do you like bubbles?” I coo in my baby voice as she splashes the soap in the bit of water around her. She should be turning one pretty soon, I’ll ask Adrian later today her real birthdate. That way a true celebration can be set in place, the best for my baby.

                “Da, da,” she babbles, I smile down at her. You’ll be with your dad soon, sweetie. Even though she’s not speaking yet and nowhere near close, she’s started to babble small words lately. I take her back out into the warm room in a small, fluffy, purple blanket. I place her on the changing station where Claire has already laid everything I need out, I smile at the thought of my makeshift mother.

                I put on a new diaper on the baby’s tushy all the while laughing at her baby nonsense, after powdering her behind of course, never forget the powder. I put a cute little mauve dress on my baby with a lilac bow to match, we love purple. I check her bag to make sure everything’s in there before heading into the kitchen and handing her to Claire as I head back up to get ready.