B. Lee || Alice Rabbits

Alice Rabbits by Yangwolf

"Ladies and Gentlemen! I present you the fantastic thrills of the Alice Rabbits!

Please, enjoy yourselves, as you watch Rosie GQ massacre her master's enemy!

I wonder if Samuel Wells will be able to step into his father's shoes?

What's that Samuel? Hand over baby Finnigan?

But the boy is already mine!

Come, try to take him from my hands. If you can get past my Alice Rabbit, Rosie GQ."

Popcorn and Bloody Fingers

It was a one of kind day today. Samuel Wells was having his evening birthday party. Thirteen small wax candles were lit, glowing atop his mother's homemade chocolate lava cake. His father and mother finished the ritual of singing best wishes for their only son; he felt tender lips kiss his dark brown hair as he reached forward, using all his breath to blow out the life in the flickering flames.

Despite their eagerness, neither family member finished the scrumptious dessert. Officer Becket Briggs, a heavyset man in his late forties barged through the front door, whipping it open so fast, the wood banged harshly against the foyer wall. He panted, hands on his knees, acting like he finished running a five mile marathon. "Detective Wells!" Briggs exclaimed, pausing to gather a lungful of air before continuing. "They found three more bodies! Mr. Peters, Mr. Heart, and Mrs. Shyfields!"

Dave Wells dropped his fork and it clattered onto his plate. "I'll be out in a moment," he growled, motioning for his wife to take Samuel upstairs.

Officer Briggs spared the mother and child a sympathetic glance. "The entire town is in hysterics. All of them are out for blood against the circus. They plan on burning down the tents and killing all the people." He mumbled hurriedly, trying to lower his voice. "They are already heading up the trail."

Dave Wells nodded once in understanding. "We better hurry then." Grabbing his trench coat, he put his arm through the sleeves. "Judy, I think it's time for Samuel to go to bed." He exchanged knowing looks with his beloved wife before he bolted out the door with his partner.

The urgency intoxicating the air caused Sammy to leap from his seat. "What is happening? Dad?" He asked questionably, wrestling his arm from his mother's grip. Her slender fingers wrapped around his wrist.

"It's time for bed, Samuel. Put on your pajamas and be a good boy." Each word was spoken clenched teeth, his mother struggling to contain her steely calmness.

Suddenly, realization dawned on him, slapped him on both cheeks, twice. "The circus," Sam whispered, terror creeping into his voice. All his Alice Rabbit friends were going to die, precious hours spent together wasted because a couple of people were mad about murders none of his friends committed.

Electric sparks jolted throughout his body, starting from his feet and racing up his arms. When he locked gazes with his mother, her pained blues and his remorseful greens, she immediately knew what he intended on doing.

"Don't-" she never finished her sentence. Her son ripped his arm free, breaking from her clutches. He bolted out the door, face pale as a ghost, similar to the rosy color draining from her cheeks.

Time increased, rushing alongside Samuel scrambling down a beaten down trail woven through Mill Woods. The circus tents resided on Mill Hill, two miles outside of town if the average person drove on roads. Half an hour when a group of teenagers meandered along the shortcut.

Brambles tugged violently at his pant legs, ripped holes in his cotton shirt. Stones stabbed his bare-feet, but he continued to run along the trail. His main focus was arriving first before the mob.