Chapter Two

Chapter Two - RILEY

 I tense, bracing myself for what Liam is about to tell me.

 'There was a struggle of some kind,' he starts.

 'A struggle? I thought it was an accident.'

 'No. Not an accident.'

 I try to process this information. If it wasn't an accident then it must have been ... something else. Something worse.

'A piece of glass from the door went into her throat which is what ... which is what killed her. So at first it looked like a terrible accident. The thing is, she was also partly strangled and there was some bruising which points towards ...'

 His words are merging together. This is beyond normality and I think I might throw up at such a graphic onslaught. Teetering on the edge of hysteria, a scream forms without a voice. My knees go soft.

 'Whoaaa, Riley, are you okay?' Liam drops his hat and puts his arm around me. He sets me down on the ground. I lean back against the side wall and he crouches in front of me. 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't've said anything. I'm an idiot.'

 'No, Liam,' I croak. 'You're brave to tell me this. Please tell me the rest. I need to know.' No matter how hard it is to hear this horror story I make myself listen to the rest.

 'We're holding Luc as the only possible suspect.' He pauses and looks at me for a reaction. 'I know it seems crazy, Luc's no more a killer than you are, but he found her and there are no other suspects.'

 'Luc?' I let his words sink in. I can't believe it. No way can Luc be involved in this, he just can't be. 'I knew they were questioning him but he can't be a suspect. What about Eddie and Rita? They won't let you hold him.'

 'Actually, Luc's parents might be the ones who employ us, but security is paid for by everyone here. We've told the Donovans we won't contact the army till we're sure of what happened.'

 'Right.'

 'Riley, I feel bad telling you all this, but don't worry about Luc. You just need to think about yourself and your family.'

 I nod.

 'I've got to go but I don't want to leave you like this. Are you gonna be okay? Shall I help you back inside?'

 I shake my head.

'Look,' he continues, his brow creased. 'Please don't tell your father I've told you any of this. He told me not to say anything and I think he was right. I shouldn't have told you; I've made you even more upset.'

 'Liam.' I shake my head again. I can barely speak. 'I won't say anything. Go before you get into trouble. Thanks for telling me. I know that must've been hard.'

 'I'm sorry, Riley. I'll see you soon.' He touches my arm, retrieves his hat from the ground and walks away.

 I stay sitting here on the ground not thinking about anything, letting my mind shrink and expand, trying to keep the bloodied images from clawing their way back inside my head. Skye is gone.

 I shakily stand up and stagger towards the house. Putting my hand to my throat, I can feel pain, like someone is strangling me, choking off the air. How can Luc have anything to do with this horror? It must have been accidental. Luc is always so sensitive to Skye and her feelings. He obviously knows she had a crush on him; well it was plain for everyone to see. But he treated her affectionately like a little sister. Our families have been close since before we were born. I've got to see Luc to hear what he has to say.