9

So there he was

So there he was. The guy who asked me out the night before. The one who almost but not really stood me up. The one who was gorgeous with perfect hair, a perfect body, and a perfect smile. The one who was also Lincoln Shepherd, movie star.

And there I was. Speechless. Standing there like an idiot, my mouth hanging wide open, while we stood in front of the bathrooms. Cait Vega, complete moron.

"What are you doing here?" Andrew asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"I, um...I live here," I cleared my throat, scolding myself inwardly for sounding stupid. "Not here here, but in Brooklyn. In...I'm, um....I'm here with friends."

I'm pretty sure I could bash my head into the wall and it would be less embarrassing than the word vomit that just tumbled out of my mouth. If he wasn't convinced that he wasn't interested in me after I walked away from him on the street last night, pretty sure this was going to seal the deal.

"Nice," he chuckled, and I caught myself appreciating the way his lips curled up at the corners in a slight smile. "Have you been here before?"

I laughed, stepping closer to him to shift out of the path to the bathroom door as a woman squeezed behind me, "Me? No. I don't really get out much."

"Or at all," Val appeared behind Andrew's shoulder, smiling as she stepped around him to join me. "I've been looking for you, who i--oh my god."

I bit my lip, terrified about what was going to happen next, but Andrew just smiled graciously at her. Val was stupefied, and she gaped at him until I elbowed her in the ribcage hoping to snap her out of it.

"Are you a friend of Cait's?" Andrew asked warmly.

Val didn't answer, so I grabbed her arm and tugged her against my side, "This is my roommate, Val. She's a huge fan."

As if this whole situation wasn't awkward enough already, Val's look of awe morphed into a look of confusion as she stared between the two of us. Andrew opened his mouth to speak, but she beat him to it.

"Wait a second," she furrowed her eyebrows. "How do you two know each other?"

"We don't," I rushed out, cutting Andrew off. "I mean, um...we just met."

Andrew lifted an eyebrow, and Val somehow seemed to regain her composure as she processed what I said. Smiling at him, she nodded, as if accepting my answer, and pointed to the door that led back to the garden.

"Well, we have some friends waiting for us out back," she said politely, and I nearly sighed audibly in relief at the prospect of an exit. "Would you like to join us for a drink?"

And there it went.

At least she didn't say anything about wanting to have his babies, right?

"Sure," Andrew replied, smiling broadly. "I'd love to."