.bonus chapter (4).

Traffic was stopped a few blocks away from The Plaza Hotel, so Val directed our Uber driver to pull over on the corner of 61st and Madison Avenue

Traffic was stopped a few blocks away from The Plaza Hotel, so Val directed our Uber driver to pull over on the corner of 61st and Madison Avenue. I clamored out of the car after her, thankfully remembering to grab my phone and tuck it into my back pocket, and shut the door before the driver pulls away. 

"Did you miss New York traffic?" I asked Val, jogging to keep up with her. 

She laughed, "Only Hong Kong could make New York traffic seem like nothing. I think that was the shortest cab ride I've had in ages."

"I'm just glad you're back," I replied, tucking my arm in hers. 

We navigated our way through the afternoon crowd of shoppers and tourists before turning left on 5th Avenue. Between the cars jammed bumper to bumper in the street and the construction scaffolding on the left side of the road, Val led me as we dodged traffic to cross the road and slowed our steps to walk along the side of Central Park. It was only October, but the temperature had already dropped into the 40s and I was glad we were only a few blocks away from the hotel.

"So, have you been on any dates I should know about?" I asked my best friend, smirking as she typed away on her phone.

Val tapped the screen a few more times before looking up at me, "Huh? Oh," she glanced at her screen before locking it and sliding it back into her bag. "I'm honestly pretty happy with the single life right now, ya know? It took a while, but I think I needed to learn how to be alone before I could be happy with someone else."

"Wow," I smiled. "Even Chris Evans?"

She rolled her eyes, "Even Chris Evans. Shut up." 

After a few seconds, Val checked her phone again before sliding it back in her bag. We rounded the corner toward the hotel, passing a row of street vendors, before she angled us into the corner of the park. 

"Where are w--"

"What about you?" She asked at the same time, sidestepping a group of tourists taking photos with a selfie stick. "You guys have been together for, what, a year now? Any more stalkers or death threats?"

I snorted, "No. Thankfully."

"And his parents? Still trying to get you guys to buy a house in Indiana?"

"Always," I replied. "I'm not opposed to it, but it's definitely not something we're looking to do anytime soon. Maybe someday? We could always split our time between Indiana and New York. Andrew wants kids," she glanced at me, and I waved her off. "Eventually, eventually he wants kids. Not anytime soon. I don't think spending at least a few years in Indiana would be a bad thing if we do have them, give them a little bit of normalcy in what can only be a crazy childhood." 

Val grinned, "So you're not going to do a reality show about raising your kids and turning them into multi-billion dollar brands?"

"Hey, if they want to be in the public eye, good on them," I told her. "But if they want a normal life, working as a teacher or something, I want them to have that choice." 

Her phone rang, the sound of Dua Lipa's "New Rules" blaring from her purse, and I stifled a laugh as she slid her finger across the screen to answer it. Val held up a finger for me to wait before turning to the side and taking a few steps away from me. I pointed at The Plaza across the street, but she's already facing the park and engrossed in her call before she can answer my question.

I wrapped my arms in front of me to ward off the chill and take in the hustle and bustle around me. People were everywhere, some walking with purpose - probably on their way to meetings and such - while others were meandering slowly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city before disappearing into the relative calm of Central Park. In the distance, I heard someone calling my name, so I pivoted on my heel and noticed a familiar face waving from one of the hot dog stands.

"Amir!" I grinned, walking quickly over to my friend and giving him a quick hug after he stepped out from behind his hot dog stand. "How are you? How's your family? I thought you were visiting overseas." 

Amir nodded, "Good, habibti, but I am glad to be back in New York." 

"I always miss the noise," I laughed, and Amir smiled in agreement. 

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "I can get you something, my treat."

I shook my head, "No thanks. I've got dinner plans in a few hours, as tempting as that sounds."

"Are you sure? Amir makes the best hot dogs in the city."

A voice behind me spoke, and I glanced over my shoulder before pivoting to answer them. Instead of a customer waiting for a hot dog, however, I gasped as Andrew smiled warmly at me before dropping onto one knee.

The crowd behind us froze, a whisper ripping through the busy lives of everyone around us as they stopped to stare, and suddenly I could barely even register the sound of the cars honking and rushing by on the nearby streets. 

"Hi," he said softly, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he smiled up at me. 

"Hi," I whispered back.

Andrew took a breath, "Cait. When I met you, standing in this exact spot, you were unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Funny and kind, it was obvious from the very beginning that you saw me - the real me - where everyone else saw the image they wanted to believe. Since then, you've become my best friend, my partner, and the most important person in my life, and," he chuckled nervously. "Quite frankly, I need you. I almost lost you once, and I want to spend every second of every day making sure that never happens again."

A camera flashed next to us, and he stuck his hand in his pocket to retrieve a tiny black jewelry box. He pried it open, and my hands flew to cover my mouth as I see a gorgeous sapphire ring surrounded by diamonds nestled in the black velvet. 

"I love you, Cait Vega, and I don't want to live my life without you," he added. "Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of FOLLOWED on Wattpad! Be sure to leave a comment (and maybe re-read the book) to celebrate! 

Another bonus chapter is coming TOMORROW! Be sure to add FOLLOWED to your library! 

x