Chapter 6 - Bacta Treatments & Star Destroyers

Lord Vader observed the crane lowering the young boy into the five-meter tall Bacta tank.

Luke's eyes widened, but the boy remained still as he had been instructed. Dressed only in a pair of white shorts with a breathing regulator in his mouth, he gasped at first contact with the fluid. The viscous solution swirled around him.

When the fluid reach his neck, the boy's bio monitors beeped with tachycardia and hyperventilation. Luke struggled, twisting back and forth in the liquid as it enveloped his face.

As the boy panicked, the regulator detached from his mouth, floating loosely in the tank. He swallowed some of the fluid into his lungs, his face turning blue with asphyxiation.

Lord Vader commanded, "Pull him out. Pull him out. He's drowning."

The technicians reversed the crane and pulled the regulator out of the way. As they began to reset the young man in the harness, the boy wiggled.

"Settle down." The technician held the regulator. "We need to put the regulator back in."

"Please. Let me catch my breath," the boy sputtered, coughing some fluid out of his throat.

The technician on the other side grabbed the boy from behind and yanked up and in on the boy's abdomen. The fluid spewed out of Luke's mouth with each pull.

The dark form of Darth Vader loomed next to them. Without the technicians noticing, the dark lord had instantly pulled himself over to the Bacta tank. "The regulator will breathe for you, like it does for me. There is no need to be afraid."

Luke looked at the helmet of his father, nodding his acceptance.  The blond boy turned to the regulator technician, opening his mouth for the device.

This time, they submerged him for an entire minute before he panicked. They pulled him just as quickly.

"This isn't working, Lord Vader." The second technician.

Vader sighed. "Luke, I need you to be at peace. Find the center within you and just go there. Concentrate on nothing except the Force within you."

It had been so very long since Vader had been able to do this himself. He wondered if he remembered how. Not since the breathing regulator had taken over his respirations had he been able to take a cleansing breath in the suit. He tried to override its rhythm now in order to teach his son.

Luke tilted his head and opened his mouth slightly. After a few seconds, he said, "I can't do it. I don't know how."

"It's not too hard. Just breathe."

The young boy continued his rapid breathing until Vader corrected. "Not that way. Long inhale. Hold it. Long exhale. Inhale. Hold. Exhale. Continue. Close your eyes. Focus on the burning light within you, Luke. That is the Force. Just focus on that."

Vader nodded to the technician with the regulator to reset the device into Luke's mouth.

The boy  continued his breathing exercises, the regulator adjusting to his pattern, as the technicians lowered him once again into the Bacta healing fluid.